Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Michael Brohl <mi...@ecomify.de> on 2016/09/06 08:08:03 UTC

Proposal for a more unified commit message format

Fellow committers,

as you might know, I'm preparing the monthly development details (mostly
related to Jiras) for our blog at https://blogs.apache.org/ofbiz/.

This is currently a lot of manual work (expecially when we have
Community Days!) mostly because the commit messages I use as the source
are not unified and written in different formats (Jira reference at the
beginning, among the text or end, different line separators, unnecessary
or doubled informations like mentioning Jira while also giving the Jira
issue  etc.). Each developer has his/her own style :-)

I'd like to propose a more unified format (or template) for the commit
messages which we can put in the Best Practices part of our Wiki.

My proposal for a unified format would be:

===

[Applied patch for|Implemented|Improved|Fix for|Documentation]: [Jira
title|Free text] [(OFBIZ-xxxx)]

[Details:] [More detailed explanation of what has been done and what the
fix achieves, sideeffects etc.]

[Thanks:] [xxxx for ... and yyyy for]

===

Some rules:

* line 1 is mandatory, the following lines are optional

* line 1: a ":" follows after the kind of implementation/source of work

* line 1: the Jira title must not be quoted (""), the Jira reference
should be in parenthesis, no whitespace.

* no separators between the lines, just new lines

This would help a lot for the preparation of the blog and would also
make the reading of the commit logs (command line and IDE) much easier,
especially when they are displayed as one-liners.

What do you think?

Regards,

Michael Brohl
ecomify GmbH
www.ecomify.de

Re: Proposal for a more unified commit message format

Posted by Nicolas Malin <ni...@nereide.fr>.
I like this proposal

Nicolas

Le 08/09/2016 � 11:16, Jacopo Cappellato a �crit :

Posted by Michael Brohl <mi...@ecomify.de>.
Thanks for your suggestions, Jacopo!

Leaner and cleaner, +1

So I think we can go with this as the new commit message format, if
noone has other suggestions?

Thanks,

Michael

Posted by Taher Alkhateeb <sl...@gmail.com>.
Ahh, right I missed reading that bullet. With the updated examples it looks
great! Thank you for the effort.

Posted by Michael Brohl <mi...@ecomify.de>.
Taher,

Posted by Taher Alkhateeb <sl...@gmail.com>.
Looks good Michael, +1

Posted by Michael Brohl <mi...@ecomify.de>.
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBADMIN/OFBiz+Committers+Roles+and+Responsibilities

Posted by Michael Brohl <mi...@ecomify.de>.
Thanks for your feedback, Nicolas!

Regards,

Michael

Posted by Nicolas Malin <ni...@nereide.fr>.
Le 10/09/2016 � 10:05, Michael Brohl a �crit :

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
I totally agree with you Taher!

Just allow me a small amendment inline :)

Le 10/09/2016 � 12:35, Taher Alkhateeb a �crit :
> We adhere to these rules out of respect and appreciation to each other, not
> because of fear of consequences.

We *NORMALLY* adhere to these rules out of respect and appreciation to each other, not because of fear of consequences.

There are (rare) cases where you need to be OFBiz police, notably with brands and domains.
I did that in the past and I will continue...

To be complete, I must says these case don't refer to OFBiz specific rules/policies/etc. but to the ASF guidelines notably http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/domains and globally http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/resources

Most of the time people don't clearly know about these "details" and act on good faith. Simply asking them to follow the guidelines is enough.

I think it was a good occasion to expose/remind these ASF rules/policies

Jacques

Posted by Taher Alkhateeb <sl...@gmail.com>.
Aside from the negative tone, I would say that we have a friendly community
and harmonious and enthusiastic committers. So usually when we set rules it
is more like general guidelines to help us become efficient and productive.

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Brohl <mi...@ecomify.de>.
Thanks, Jacopo :-)

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxsystems.com>.

Posted by Michael Brohl <mi...@ecomify.de>.
Hi everyone,

so does everyone agree with the following commit message template to use:

======================
[Implemented|Improved|Fix for|Documentation]: [Jira title|Free text]
[(OFBIZ-xxxx)]

[More detailed explanation of what has been done and what the fix achieves,
sideeffects etc.]

[Thanks:] [xxxx for ... and yyyy for]
======================

It would be very helpful to make this a general rule for the commit
messages, especially starting this month when we have our Community Day
(many changes expected, which is good! :-))

Posted by Michael Brohl <mi...@ecomify.de>.
Hi Jacques,

please see my remarks inline.

Am 09.09.16 um 06:40 schrieb Jacques Le Roux:
> I think it's a good idea to normalize our commits comments and your
> proposition seems good to me Jacopo.
>
> Now, of course I wonder about how to automate it. I can do it on my
> own side using TortoiseSVN and Eclipse specific features, nice. I
> guess the same exist on other svn GUI clients. But could we not
> enforce the rule and make things automated for committers? Here is an
> "official" answer from the Subversion team
> https://subversion.open.collab.net/ds/viewMessage.do?dsMessageId=487681&dsForumId=4
> So maybe we could use that as a basis to create our own?
> https://gist.github.com/alecthegeek/4134951
I'm not sure if we should put too much effort in this. How do the
committers automate their commit messages today? I guess most do it
either by hand every time, have some snippets they reuse or some kind of
software which offers shortcuts /clipboard features. I would leave it
like that.

> Last but not least: this started from Michael's need to format monthly
> Jira notes in our blog (kudos for the work Michael!). It will
> certainly be easier for Michael to have this in place. But you might
> have noticed that I asked a question to Atlassian about Jira which
> would remove the need for for Michael, or any of us, to do this work
> by hand. I got no feedback from anyone, so I rather created a similar
> feature request: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSW-14843. I invite
> everyone to vote for it and add comments if necessary, thanks!
Yes, the starting point was the work with the blog but I also see some
benefit for the commit messages and readability apart from that. The
Jira feature, even if it would allow filtering by date, would not
suffice my needs for the blog because they don't show the details. As a
source, I would always use our svn log.

Generating the links for the OFBIZ-xxxx is the easiest part, I have
automated this using Textwrangler regex search/replace.

So the new format would be helpful in any case.

Regards,

Michael

Re: Proposal for a more unified commit message format

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Posted by Michael Brohl <mi...@ecomify.de>.
Yes, that might make it clearer.

I will give some examples of existing log messages and how they would
look with the new format.

Example 1 (old):

===

Applied patch from jira issue - OFBIZ-8091 - Clean up commented out code
in XML for Common component. Thanks Aman for the contribution.

===

Example 1 (new):

===

Applied patch for: Clean up commented out code in XML for Common
component ( OFBIZ-8091).

Thanks: Aman for the contribution.

===

Example 2 (old):

===

(OFBIZ-7969) Applied slightly modified patch from jira issue.
=================================
Enable adding a content to an agreement
=================================
Thanks Leila Mekika for your contribution.

===

Example 2 (new):

===

Applied modified patch for: Enable adding a content to an agreement (
OFBIZ-7969).

Thanks: Leila Mekika for your contribution.

===

Example 3 (old): (no Jira)

===

Improved error message logged by DelegatorFactoryImpl.getInstance(...)
when a delegator can't be created; added a TODO comment to remind that
the code should be refactored to throw the exception instead.

===

Example 3 (new):

===

Improved: error message logged by DelegatorFactoryImpl.getInstance(...)
when a delegator can't be created.
Details: added a TODO comment to remind that the code should be
refactored to throw the exception instead.

===

Example 4 (old):

===

A slightly modified Taher's patch for "Load the OWASP dependency checker
Gradle plugin efficiently" I reported at OFBIZ-7930

Using OWASP-DC with Gradle was impossible w/o the corresponding plugin.
Unfortunately using the suggested way at
https://plugins.gradle.org/plugin/org.owasp.dependencycheck loads a lot
of dependencies which are only needed by OWASP-DC. So Taher wrote a
specific solution to avoid downloading useless libs to a normal use of
OFBiz, there it is.

jleroux: I have simply formatted the "if(" to "if ("

===

Example 4 (new):

===

Applied modified patch: Load the OWASP dependency checker Gradle plugin
efficiently (OFBIZ-7930).
Details: Using OWASP-DC with Gradle was impossible w/o the corresponding
plugin. Unfortunately using the suggested way at
https://plugins.gradle.org/plugin/org.owasp.dependencycheck loads a lot
of dependencies which are only needed by OWASP-DC. So Taher wrote a
specific solution to avoid downloading useless libs to a normal use of
OFBiz, there it is.
jleroux: I have simply formatted the "if(" to "if ("

===

Example 2 made me enhance the template:

===

[Applied patch for|Applied modified patch for|Implemented|Improved|Fix for|Documentation]: [Jira title|Free text] [(OFBIZ-xxxx)]

[Details:] [More detailed explanation of what has been done and what the fix achieves, sideeffects etc.]

[Thanks:] [xxxx for ... and yyyy for]

===

Hope that's clearer now?

Regards,

Michael

Posted by Taher Alkhateeb <sl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
BTW, when we initially spoke about "that" with Michael (before this thread while working on the monthly blog post) I thought that an easier way to
generate the detailed Jira issues notes would be to use Jira itself.

Unfortunately if this works well for releases, you can't filter dates on the trunk so you always get all the possible related issues (ie a LOT)

So I have then created this question https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/41455836/have-a-date-filter-to-configure-release-notes#

But I see no signs of activity, and I'll appreciate if you could push it a bit to see what happen. I believe it's a minor change to them which could
benefit to a lot of users.

Thanks (note that you might need to register then)

Jacques

Le 06/09/2016 � 17:51, Jacques Le Roux a �crit :

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Thanks for the tip Michael,

Posted by Michael Brohl <mi...@ecomify.de>.
Hi Jacques,

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Posted by Michael Brohl <mi...@ecomify.de>.

Posted by Taher Alkhateeb <sl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Posted by Michael Brohl <mi...@ecomify.de>.

Posted by Taher Alkhateeb <sl...@gmail.com>.
Hi Michael,

Posted by Michael Brohl <mi...@ecomify.de>.
Taher,

Posted by Taher Alkhateeb <sl...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by gil portenseigne <gi...@nereide.fr>.
Hi Michael,

Posted by Michael Brohl <mi...@ecomify.de>.
There's another reason: in the blog, it's more convenient to have the
Jira reference and link at the end of the description.

As long as we do it manually, we would have to cut/paste every Jira
reference to the end.

Michael

Posted by Michael Brohl <mi...@ecomify.de>.

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Michael,

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Hi All,

We initialled missed something: what would you put for Tasks?

I suggest "Completes:" (and not "Does:"). You can use "Completed:" if you want I don't care

Jacques

Le 06/09/2016 � 10:08, Michael Brohl a �crit :