Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Mirko Nasato <mi...@artofsolving.com> on 2007/05/24 17:45:37 UTC

NPE when setting executor on AJP Connector

Hi,

I've just installed Tomcat 6.0.13 and noticed in conf/server.xml that
there is a new Executor element - commented out by default - saying "The
connectors can use a shared executor, you can define one or more named
thread pools".

So tried and enabled it, using the same executor for both the HTTP and
the AJP Connectors:

    <Executor name="tomcatThreadPool" namePrefix="catalina-exec-" .../>
    <Connector executor="tomcatThreadPool" port="8080"
protocol="HTTP/1.1" .../>
    <Connector executor="tomcatThreadPool" port="8009"
protocol="AJP/1.3" ... />

However I then get an exception when starting Tomcat:
--
May 24, 2007 3:14:34 PM org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.Digester
startElement

The executor seems to work only with the HTTP Connector, not the AJP
one. However according to the docs the standard AJP implementation
should support 'executor' as well

  http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/config/ajp.html

Should I file a bug report?

Thanks

Mirko

Re: NPE when setting executor on AJP Connector

Posted by Rémy Maucherat <re...@gmail.com>.
On 5/24/07, Mirko Nasato <mi...@artofsolving.com> wrote:
> Rémy Maucherat wrote:
> > I was disappointed when I saw the performance results of the current
> > executors. At the moment, you should not be using them.
> >
> Alright. I would suggest putting an EXPERIMENTAL! or similar warning in
> the docs and conf files in that case.

It's not that experimental, it's just that there's no real benefit
except for some special cases. As you noticed, it also doesn't work
with the org.apache.jk AJP connector.

Rémy

Re: NPE when setting executor on AJP Connector

Posted by Mirko Nasato <mi...@artofsolving.com>.
Rémy Maucherat wrote:
> I was disappointed when I saw the performance results of the current
> executors. At the moment, you should not be using them.

Alright. I would suggest putting an EXPERIMENTAL! or similar warning in
the docs and conf files in that case.

Kind regards

Posted by Rémy Maucherat <re...@gmail.com>.