Posted to user@spark.apache.org by Ron Gonzalez <zl...@yahoo.com> on 2014/07/25 18:36:28 UTC

Issue submitting spark job to yarn

Folks,
  I've been able to submit simple jobs to yarn thus far. However, when I did something more complicated that added 194 dependency jars using --addJars, the job fails in YARN with no logs. What ends up happening is that no container logs get created (app master or executor). If I add just a couple of dependencies, it works, so this is clearly a case of too many dependencies passed into the invocation.

  Not sure if this means that no container was created at all, but bottom line is that I get no logs that can help me determine what's wrong. Because of the large number of jars, I figured it might have been a permgen issue so I added these options. However, that didn't help. It seems as if the actual submission wasn't even spawned since no container was created or no log was found.

  Any ideas for this?

Thanks,
Ron

Re: Issue submitting spark job to yarn

Posted by Ron Gonzalez <zl...@yahoo.com>.
Turns out that it had the spark assembly in the target/dependency dir so resource localization failed because spark was writing both the assembly from the dependency dir along with the main resource localization of the assembly as part of the main code line. Yarn doesn't like it if the file is overwritten in hdfs after it's been registered as a local resource. Node manager logs are your friend!

Just sharing in case other folks run into the same problem.

Thanks,
Ron

Sent from my iPhone