Posted to dev@datasketches.apache.org by Alexander Saydakov <sa...@verizonmedia.com.INVALID> on 2019/08/23 00:44:38 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache DataSketches-cpp (incubating) 1.0.0 [RC1]

 Dear Apache DataSketches PPMC and Community,

This is a call for vote to release Apache DataSketches-cpp version
1.0.0-incubating

This is a C++ version of the core library with Python bindings.

This is the first release of this component.

We are not going to release any artifacts besides the source code.

The release candidate:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/datasketches/cpp/1.0.0-incubating-rc1/

Source repository:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-datasketches-cpp

Git tag for this release:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-datasketches-cpp/releases/tag/1.0.0-incubating-rc1

The artifact has been signed with key:
pub  4096R/A8E8B4E0 2019-08-20 Alexander Saydakov (CODE SIGNING KEY) <
alsay@apache.org>
Fingerprint=40A2 47F6 1E8C 6C75 678C  69C5 6848 6114 A8E8 B4E0

The public signing key can be found in the KEYS file:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/datasketches/KEYS

Building and running unit tests requires cppunit-devel.
The easiest way to build is:
make test

Building Python bindings requires cmake 3.12 or higher and pybind11.
Please see the following document for details:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-datasketches-cpp/blob/1.0.0-incubating-rc1/python/README.md

The vote will be performed in two stages:
  - This letter will be published on dev@ and remain open for at least 72
hours and until at least 3 (+1) PPMC votes are reached. All PPMC members
including mentors can vote. However, a negative vote from a mentor will
cancel this voting process.
  - After it passes the first stage, the summary of that vote and the key
information from this letter will be published on incubator@general and
remain open for at least 72 hours and until at least 3 (+1) IPMC votes are
reached.

Please vote accordingly:
[ ] +1 approve
[ ] +0 no opinion
[ ] -1 disapprove with the reason

Thanks,
Alexander Saydakov
alsay@apache.org

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache DataSketches-cpp (incubating) 1.0.0 [RC1]

Posted by Alexander Saydakov <sa...@verizonmedia.com>.
Hi Furkan,
Regarding #1: As I mentioned in the call for vote, building and running
unit tests requires cppunit-devel. For OSX it probably means something like
"brew install cppunit"

Regarding #2: I am not sure what is wrong there. My key is present in the
KEYS file. Do you have any guess as to what might be wrong?
Thank you.

Posted by Furkan KAMACI <fu...@gmail.com>.
Hi Alexander,

I thought some of them starts with apache prefix and some of them with
incubator. However it is not. I found the reason. Source file from Github
and Apache dist has different names:

https://github.com/apache/incubator-datasketches-cpp/archive/1.0.0-incubating-rc1.tar.gz
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/datasketches/cpp/1.0.0-incubating-rc1/apache-datasketches-cpp-1.0.0-incubating-src.zip

So, it is OK.

Kind Regards,
Furkan KAMACI

Posted by Alexander Saydakov <sa...@verizonmedia.com>.
Furkan,

Posted by Furkan KAMACI <fu...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Furkan KAMACI <fu...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by leerho <le...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jon Malkin <jo...@gmail.com>.
I'll vote -1 for now.

I'm not sure if grabbing pybind11 like that will end up having problematic
side-effects in the future. I pushed a change that excludes python from the
default build (you'd need to run cmake .. -DWITH_PYTHON=1) that resolves
that issue. That vastly simplifies the instructions.

  jon

Posted by leerho <le...@gmail.com>.

Posted by leerho <le...@gmail.com>.
My vote +1