Posted to users@royale.apache.org by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> on 2017/10/25 20:08:15 UTC

Re: Apache Royale Compiler

Hi Carlos,

I will move this discussion to the Royale list.

I'm sorry I wasn't clear enough.  We aren't asking you to open source your
code.   We are just saying that if you choose to go with Royale/FlexJS
right now you will be a high-priority user.  As opposed to maybe 3 years
from now when we have 100's of users asking for things. If there is a bug
or missing feature in the Royale components, we will work on it ASAP.  If
you having trouble finding a bug, we will try to help you find it.  That's
why I said it was like having an extended team.  Once we have more users
it will harder to get rapid response to solving your problems.  If you go
with Royale now, you essentially get the experts help when you need it.

The way it works is that you grab a copy of Royale and start the migration
and ask questions and file bugs.  I think Harbs and Yishay have some
migration lessons learned they can share.  You may need to create a simple
test case for some bugs or show snippets of your code, but you won't have
to make the whole thing public.  If you run into an issue that can't be
reproduced in a simple test case, and we need to see your code, we can
often do a screen share via Skype or Adobe Connect.  If you need a
Non-Disclosure Agreement we can look into that.

I personally have seen a dozen or so Flex application source codebases
over the years from the Adobe Flex days.  And yeah, they aren't always as
well-coded as one might like, but I have low expectations there so don't
worry about your code quality.  It is what it is, and we want Royale to
work without requiring users to clean up code.

Let us know if you want to get started.
-Alex

RE: Apache Royale Compiler

Posted by Carlos Cruz <ca...@nbtbizcapital.com>.
Just a quick reply... I understood your point about you weren't asking to open source any code, (perhaps it was me that was not clear) I was only stating that if the migration was successful I would be very open to make non-core modules and components open source if it helped the Flex/Royale community in some way, from the perspective the healthier the community the better for me / everyone working with Flex/Royale.

I'll grab a copy of Royale later today and if I have any questions I will ask on the Royale List which I have yet to subscribe.