Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Matt Benson <gu...@yahoo.com> on 2005/05/27 17:39:02 UTC

Re: Retaining directory structure with image task

--- Antoine Levy-Lambert <an...@gmx.de> wrote:
[SNIP]
> the image task now seems to contain a kind of
> hardcoded flattenmapper.
> This is not usual for an an ant.task, and I would be
> tempted to change
> even the default behavior of the task, considering
> this is a blatant bug.
> Of course this would violate BC, or at least need to
> be entered in the
> section "Changes that could break older
> environments".
> I find it unpleasant when we have to add new
> attributes/nested elements
> to tasks simply because the default behavior from
> the start was wrong or
> say ... unusual.
>
> Maybe we ought to continue this discussion on the
> dev list.

Oh, yeah... :) hmm. If it behaves like a flattenmapper
today, the chance of breaking BC by defaulting to a
true flattenmapper is low. If we were going to go to
the extreme of marking such as a "change that could
break older environments" we could arguably go ahead
and really break things by defaulting to copy-esque
mapping (relative path from src to dest). On the one
hand, flattening by default isn't necessarily
intuitive to Ant. On the other hand, we possibly
shouldn't purposely trash BC here. I lean toward
breakage myself, but then, I don't use the image task.
:)

-Matt