Posted to jmeter-dev@jakarta.apache.org by ElanjChezhiyan <ch...@siptech.co.in> on 2003/05/01 01:45:14 UTC

Session maintanance

Hi Stover,

This is regarding bug 19309.

You have mentioned that JMeter's cookie manager does not need you to
enter such cookies in manually - it tracks them automatically, and yes
it does send back the same values to the server that the server sent to
the client.

Please correct me if I'm worng. I've done proxy recording on some sites
which maintain session using cookies - like yahoo, rediff etc. When I
palyed back the recorded scripts, even though the HTTP response codes
were 200, the sites were returning error pages - mostly saying 'Error,
your session is invalid'. AFAIK this happens because we are not sending
cookies along with the request for the next page. So we have to insert
cookie managers at appropriate places in the recorded script. But since
it accepts static values only, still the session cannot be maintained.

Do you mean that the cookies are maintained internally and there's no
need to add cookie managers? If so how can I make my recorded script to
give back the correct response pages? Am I doing something wrong here?

Thanks,
Elan

Re: Session maintanance

Posted by ms...@apache.org.
Add the CookieManager at the ThreadGroup level and it will maintain cookies
for all your requests.  You do not add static cookies to it unless you need
static cookies.  Cookies that are set during the test run are maintained and
kept up-to-date and returned with each request.

Read about the Cookie Manager:
http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/usermanual/build-web-test-
plan.html#adding_cookie_support

http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/usermanual/component_reference.html#HTTP
_Cookie_Manager

-Mike

On 30 Apr 2003 at 19:45, ElanjChezhiyan wrote:

> Hi Stover,
>
> This is regarding bug 19309.
>
> You have mentioned that JMeter's cookie manager does not need you to
> enter such cookies in manually - it tracks them automatically, and yes
> it does send back the same values to the server that the server sent to
> the client.
>
> Please correct me if I'm worng. I've done proxy recording on some sites
> which maintain session using cookies - like yahoo, rediff etc. When I
> palyed back the recorded scripts, even though the HTTP response codes
> were 200, the sites were returning error pages - mostly saying 'Error,
> your session is invalid'. AFAIK this happens because we are not sending
> cookies along with the request for the next page. So we have to insert
> cookie managers at appropriate places in the recorded script. But since
> it accepts static values only, still the session cannot be maintained.
>
> Do you mean that the cookies are maintained internally and there's no
> need to add cookie managers? If so how can I make my recorded script to
> give back the correct response pages? Am I doing something wrong here?
>
> Thanks,
> Elan

Michael Stover
mstover1@apache.org