Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Joshua Slive <sl...@commerce.ubc.ca> on 2001/09/03 22:31:54 UTC

FW: .htaccess doc is bogus (fwd)

In case anyone needs a project ;-)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2001 13:25:45 -0700
From: Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>
To: members@apache.org
Subject: FW: .htaccess doc is bogus

LOL!

-jon

------ Forwarded Message
From: <cl...@flange.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2001 13:11:18 -0700 (PDT)
To: jon@apache.org
Subject: .htaccess doc is bogus

You create doc pages which contain all the information one
needs, but it is presented in the most tangled, obscure, time
consuming way as possible.

If there's anything to be learned from WWW explosion, its that
you have to present information clearly, on a shallow website.

I see no reason why you can't provide a more direct path
to a .htaccess example.

--
Chuck Peterson
clp@flange.com

------ End of Forwarded Message

Re: FW: .htaccess doc is bogus (fwd)

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
On Mon, 3 Sep 2001, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> Let's not make that document and say we did.
>
> Specifically, let's incorporate that info into the Overrides: foo headers
> in the directives tree, but write a simple script to just extract and build
> a table of that gook for the docs.  We don't need one more doc to mess up
> and allow to fall out of sync :(

Well, sure, if all the doc is is a list of directives that are permitted
in that context. Aren't we looking for a trifle more than that?

> Bill

And everyone said, "If we only live,
We too will go to sea in a Sieve -
To the hills of the Chankly Bore!"
 (The Jumblies, by Edward Lear)

Re: FW: .htaccess doc is bogus (fwd)

Posted by Cliff Woolley <cl...@yahoo.com>.
On Mon, 3 Sep 2001, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> Let's not make that document and say we did.
>
> Specifically, let's incorporate that info into the Overrides: foo headers
> in the directives tree, but write a simple script to just extract and build
> a table of that gook for the docs.  We don't need one more doc to mess up
> and allow to fall out of sync :(

I fully intended for this to be more or less script-generated... I just
didn't say so explicitly.

--Cliff

Re: FW: .htaccess doc is bogus (fwd)

Posted by Thomas Eibner <th...@stderr.net>.
On Tue, Sep 04, 2001 at 08:05:32PM -0700, Joshua Slive wrote:

> On Tue, 4 Sep 2001, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
>
> > Cliff Woolley wrote:
> > >
> > > Are there any samples of how to do the easy .htaccess tasks like
> > > setting up a plain and simple mod_auth or mod_access configuration?
> >
> > http://Apache-Server.Com/tutorials/ATusing-htaccess.html
>
> Yes, this is a very nice doc.  It is linked from the tutorials page.
> Are you interested in donating it?
>
> [I suspect there are people who think that we shouldn't be trying to make
> the docs be all things to all people.  In other words, we should be
> focusing on core documentation and leaving things like this for external
> sites.  There certainly is some truth to that.  But if part of the mission
> of "core documentation" is to be sufficient for new users to get started
> with the server, then this type of thing qualifies.

If there are good documents out there make sure to link to them and make
sure the links are in places where users might think they'd be?
Of course someone needs to check up on the links, so that no broken
links in the docs occour.

Leave room for sites like ApacheToday ApacheWeek and what they're all
called to have articles on subjects that aren't necessarily in the core
docs. Maybe even keep lists of articles that you want people to create
(Like in the STATUS document).

> I am interested in hearing people's opinions on what the "mission" of the
> docs should be.]

my $cent = 2;

--
  Thomas Eibner <http://thomas.eibner.dk/> DnsZone <http://dnszone.org/>
  mod_pointer <http://stderr.net/mod_pointer>

Re: FW: .htaccess doc is bogus (fwd)

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Wed, 5 Sep 2001, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> Joshua Slive wrote:
> >
> > > http://Apache-Server.Com/tutorials/ATusing-htaccess.html
> >
> > Yes, this is a very nice doc.  It is linked from the tutorials page.
> > Are you interested in donating it?
>
> I do not mind, but I am *not* going to maintain multiple copies.
> I think linking to existing support documentation wherever it
> happens to live on the Web is a far, far better thing than
> trying to duplicate it all.

I agree to a point.  But I am hesitant to scatter external links
throughout the docs because they inevitably become stale.
For example, I don't think anyone will be surprised if ApacheToday
and all its tutorials disappear off the face of the earth.

In the case of your docs, I trust you'll maintain them.

Joshua.

Re: FW: .htaccess doc is bogus (fwd)

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.
Joshua Slive wrote:

> > http://Apache-Server.Com/tutorials/ATusing-htaccess.html
>
> Yes, this is a very nice doc.  It is linked from the tutorials page.
> Are you interested in donating it?

I do not mind, but I am *not* going to maintain multiple copies.
I think linking to existing support documentation wherever it
happens to live on the Web is a far, far better thing than
trying to duplicate it all.
--
#ken	P-)}

Re: FW: .htaccess doc is bogus (fwd)

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
On Mon, 3 Sep 2001, Cliff Woolley wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Sep 2001, Joshua Slive wrote:
>
> > I forwarded it because it does point out a common problem people have.
> > Someone (perhaps their ISP) tells them to "do it with .htaccess".
> > They then come to the docs, and can't figure out what the heck
> > that means.  There are only a couple places in the docs that tell people
> > what an .htaccess file is and how to use it.
> >
> > I don't know what the solution is, but it is a problem I have heard more
> > than once.
>
> Is there any document that summarizes "these are the directives that are
> valid from .htaccess" to keep you from having to look through the
> documentation of every single directive in every single module to figure
> it out?  Are there any samples of how to do the easy .htaccess tasks like
> setting up a plain and simple mod_auth or mod_access configuration?  I
> used to get asked these things ALL THE TIME by my users when I was a
> webmaster... I had to just have a stock .htaccess I could give them to
> learn from.  A document along those lines if it doesn't already exist
> would probably go a long way...

Ah, ok. That makes sense. I have at least one such doc, which might
provide a decent starting place. Should that go in the howto area?

(By the way, I promised an authentication howto several weeks ago, and
it's almost ready.)

--
Rich Bowen - rbowen@rcbowen.com
As we trace our own few circles around the sun

Re: FW: .htaccess doc is bogus (fwd)

Posted by Cliff Woolley <cl...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Mon, 3 Sep 2001, Rich Bowen wrote:
> I expect that this request could be a little more obscure, but I'm not
> sure how. Ironic, no?
>
> Exactly what is being requested here?

You are correct; it is a bullsh** complaint from someone who was upset
they had to spend a few minutes actually learning to use Apache.

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
On Mon, 3 Sep 2001, Joshua Slive wrote:

> In case anyone needs a project ;-)

Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of earth
And danced the sky on laughter-silvered wings
 --High Flight (John Gillespie Magee)