Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by neal <ne...@yahoo.com> on 2002/08/30 05:51:42 UTC

OT - Jdk1.4 XML support

Hope you don't mind a slightly off-topic question....

Anyone here working with the JDK1.4+ and XML (and possibly XSLT)?

I see that the JDK now provides basic XML support and per my understanding
it even included the latest Xalan libs for XSLT.  Is this sufficient for
production-quality XML work, or are you guys still subbing out with Xerces
or something else (and is Xalan sufficient or are you overriding it for
XsLT)?

Thanks.
Neal

Re: OT - Jdk1.4 XML support

Posted by Cédric Viaud <ce...@matrasi-tls.fr>.
Hi,

as you now get with the JDK 1.4 JAXP, and defaults DOM, SAX parser, XSL-T
processor, you can do quite good job with XML. Be sure to understand that
JAXP is just a way to access to underlying DOM , SAX and XSL-T
implementation. The default ones in JDK 1.4 seems to be (looking at the
classes) Crimson for DOM/SAX parser and Xalan for XSL-T processor.

If you want to use other implementation of DOM/SAX or XSL-T, you can add
some jar, and change the parser configuration. So you always uses JAXP, but
the underlying librairies are the one you want.

Hope this help ,

    Cédric

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

RE: OT - Jdk1.4 XML support

Posted by neal <ne...@yahoo.com>.
Cool.  That answers that question, I suppose.  ;-)

Neal

> Hope you don't mind a slightly off-topic question....
>
> Anyone here working with the JDK1.4+ and XML (and possibly XSLT)?
>
> I see that the JDK now provides basic XML support and per my understanding
> it even included the latest Xalan libs for XSLT.  Is this sufficient for
> production-quality XML work, or are you guys still subbing out with Xerces
> or something else (and is Xalan sufficient or are you overriding it for
> XsLT)?

Well, the parsing and XSLT processing code in Sun's JDK 1.4 *is* Xerces
and Xalan (or at least a version of them as of when 1.4 was released) ...

> Thanks.
> Neal

Craig

RE: OT - Jdk1.4 XML support

Posted by neal <ne...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks.

One last question about this ... do you know if XSLTC (translets) were
bundled?  I'm not seeing it in the 1.4 API, but apparently its part of
Xalan2, which I believe was the version that would have been bundled with
JDK1.4????

Thanks.
Neal

> Hope you don't mind a slightly off-topic question....
>
> Anyone here working with the JDK1.4+ and XML (and possibly XSLT)?
>
> I see that the JDK now provides basic XML support and per my understanding
> it even included the latest Xalan libs for XSLT.  Is this sufficient for
> production-quality XML work, or are you guys still subbing out with Xerces
> or something else (and is Xalan sufficient or are you overriding it for
> XsLT)?

Well, the parsing and XSLT processing code in Sun's JDK 1.4 *is* Xerces
and Xalan (or at least a version of them as of when 1.4 was released) ...

> Thanks.
> Neal

Craig

Re: OT - Jdk1.4 XML support

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Thu, 29 Aug 2002, neal wrote:

> Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 20:51:42 -0700
> From: neal <ne...@yahoo.com>
> To: Tomcat Users List <to...@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: OT - Jdk1.4 XML support
>
> Hope you don't mind a slightly off-topic question....
>
> Anyone here working with the JDK1.4+ and XML (and possibly XSLT)?
>
> I see that the JDK now provides basic XML support and per my understanding
> it even included the latest Xalan libs for XSLT.  Is this sufficient for
> production-quality XML work, or are you guys still subbing out with Xerces
> or something else (and is Xalan sufficient or are you overriding it for
> XsLT)?

Well, the parsing and XSLT processing code in Sun's JDK 1.4 *is* Xerces
and Xalan (or at least a version of them as of when 1.4 was released) ...

> Thanks.
> Neal

Craig