Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Rue the Ghetto <ru...@rubyghetto.com> on 2009/11/18 23:19:21 UTC

Ruby object persistence using CouchDB

Hey Everyone,

I am speaking at RubyConf on Friday about a CouchDB backed project named
Aqua. I probably should have mentioned my ardent work on this library
sooner, since I know everyone gets curious about where CouchDB is being
used.

Aqua's goal is to allow Ruby object persistence, so that developer can think
less about their databases and more about their application logic. Since
objects are complex nested things, CouchDB is the perfect backend.

In the process of writing Aqua I constructed a new library for connecting
CouchDB with Ruby. Initially I used CouchRest's core library; it was a great
inspiration. Eventually though I wrote my own library since I was using only
the core features of CouchRest which were much less tested.

I am hoping to extract the CouchDB storage part of Aqua into its own gem. It
is about 900 lines of code. It doesn't cover the full CouchDB API yet, so
comments about how it should better map are appreciated.

At any rate if you are going to be at RubyConf, check out the talk or grab
me for a chat.

Urls of interest:

Talk description:
http://www.rubyconf.org/talks/127-aqua-a-cool-clear-drink-of-ruby-object-persistence