Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Rene Cordier <rc...@apache.org> on 2020/08/17 03:26:05 UTC

Re: Which repositories are we using and going to document? Let's retire the ones we don't

Hello,

> There are things that need to me documented that are not technical:
> - what / where are the project resources (website, CI, git repos,
> mailing list)
> - how to contribute, engage with the community
> - etc.

Just to say I started migrating and writing this part of the
documentation here: https://github.com/apache/james-project/pull/243

Don't hesitate to put comments and give feedbacks.

Thanks!

Rene.

Re: Which repositories are we using and going to document? Let's retire the ones we don't

Posted by Rene Cordier <rc...@apache.org>.
On 20/08/2020 11:23, Rene Cordier wrote:

> Based on Eugen comments in the INFRA ticket, I did this:
> https://github.com/apache/james-project/pull/244 for redirecting
> notifications to the new ML for this.
>
> However I don't think as a commiter I can create the ML, so if a PMC
> could manage that :)

Following the fact that the ML has been created, I merged the pull
request. I could subscribe to it and I saw Eugen sending a test mail
through successfully as well.

But every time something get merged for example, I get an error email
from INFRA saying:
"An error occurred while running notifications feature in .asf.yaml!:
Invalid notification target 'notifications@james.apache.org'. Must be a
valid @james.apache.org list!"

However the ML exists and looks valid. Thus I do not understand what is
going on... I did reported the issue on INFRA ticket, but still waiting
for an answer.

If anybody got an idea, you are welcome to speak. If not well... I guess
we need to wait for INFRA to answer us.

Cheers,
Rene.

Re: Which repositories are we using and going to document? Let's retire the ones we don't

Posted by Rene Cordier <rc...@apache.org>.

Posted by Eugen Stan <eu...@netdava.com>.
La 19.08.2020 09:59, Rene Cordier a scris:

--

>> Gitter should be added if that is a channel.
>> I do think we should have 2 channels for dev and user on gitter.
>
> Gitter I think is more for giving help and support to users and
> answering problems. I don't think we need two Gitter channels for this,
> the one we have currently is enough?

Sometimes it is easier to have a quick discussion for development on
chat and then put the conclusions on ML / JIRA / PR.

Those discussions would be better off on a different channel then the
one used to talk with users.

--
Eugen Stan
+40720 898 747 / netdava.com

Re: Which repositories are we using and going to document? Let's retire the ones we don't

Posted by Rene Cordier <rc...@apache.org>.

Posted by Eugen Stan <eu...@netdava.com>.
La 17.08.2020 07:45, David Leangen a scris:

>> I do think we might want to leverage this opportunity to close
>> low-traffic unused mailing lists. This includes:
>

> My 2 cents:
>
>  From the user perspective, I think it would be desirable to trim down the number of mailing lists. 😀

Thank you for taking care of this.
I'm busy with company work.
I agree with trimming down the mailing list.

Automatic notifications is another issue.
We have:
- git notifications - commit, merge, pr, etc
- jira notifications - comment, create, etc

Right now we send them to the development ML which is a good solution IMO.
Users can filter them out n the client.

Another option is to create separate ML for notifications.

Posted by David Leangen <ap...@leangen.net>.
> I do think we might want to leverage this opportunity to close
> low-traffic unused mailing lists. This includes:

My 2 cents:

From the user perspective, I think it would be desirable to trim down the number of mailing lists. 😀

Re: Which repositories are we using and going to document? Let's retire the ones we don't

Posted by Tellier Benoit <bt...@apache.org>.
Hi René

I did a quick review.

As such, given the limited content, I mostly agree with it.

I do think we might want to leverage this opportunity to close
low-traffic unused mailing lists. This includes:

 -site-dev@james.apache.org : site discussions happens on server-dev and
not there, it is low traffic, and unused.
 - mailet-api@james.apache.org: It is not active.... Maybe it is better
to discuss mailet api concerns in server-dev....

What would the list think about such an initiative?

Best regards,

Benoit