Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Ian Duffy <ia...@ianduffy.ie> on 2013/07/15 00:39:22 UTC

Windows Server 2008 Template

Hi,

I'm using Cloudstack 4.1 and Xenserver 6.0.2.

I Installed windows server 2008 R2 with xenserver tools and cloud.com
VM instance tools.
syspreped it with "Enter System out of box experience" + Generalize.
Shutdown the machine and created a template.

I created an instance using the template and the instance came up but:
1) It had a different IP address to the one given in Cloudstack
2) No gateway was set

Any idea why this is happening and how to fix it?

Thanks,

Ian

Re: Windows Server 2008 Template

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.
On Jul 15, 2013, at 9:10 PM, Kirk Kosinski <ki...@gmail.com> wrote:

> If the hypervisor tools or drivers are not working after the template is
> deployed, try enabling PersistAllDeviceInstalls in the sysprep answer file.
>
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc722095%28WS.10%29.aspx

That sounds like we should have a "black magic" chapter in our troubleshooting section.

>>> http://about.met/kirkjantzer

RE: Windows Server 2008 Template

Posted by Geoff Higginbottom <ge...@shapeblue.com>.
Kirk is absolutely right, we always set this flag in the sysprep answer file, regardless of Hypervisor type.

Regards

Geoff Higginbottom

geoff.higginbottom@shapeblue.com

If the hypervisor tools or drivers are not working after the template is deployed, try enabling PersistAllDeviceInstalls in the sysprep answer file.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc722095%28WS.10%29.aspx

Kirk

On 07/15/2013 12:00 AM, Ian Duffy wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> Thanks for the replies.
>
> It seems Kirk(Jantzer) was correct. For whatever reason when I put the
> xen tools into the template it got a link-local address. When I placed
> them to install with the sysprep answer file it worked as expected.
>
> Thanks!
> Ian
>
> On 15 July 2013 01:45, Kirk Jantzer <ki...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Ian - As the other Kirk said (I don't get to say that often :-P), if
>> it's getting that kind of IP, it could mean the NIC drivers aren't
>> getting installed correctly. I've found Windows works better in CS
>> when you run post scripts that are kicked off via a sysprep answer
>> file, rather than just wrapping things up in an image.
>>

>> On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 6:58 PM, Kirk Kosinski <ki...@gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Hi, Ian. Is it getting an 169.254.x.x IP?  If so, it means it cannot
>>> get an IP via DHCP.  In this case, try setting the IP manually to
>>> the IP it should have, then try to diagnose network connectivity
>>> (ping virtual router, ping other VMs, etc.).
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> Kirk

>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Kirk Jantzer
>> c: (678) 561-5475
>> http://about.met/kirkjantzer

This email and any attachments to it may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Shape Blue Ltd or related companies. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must neither take any action based upon its contents, nor copy or show it to anyone. Please contact the sender if you believe you have received this email in error. Shape Blue Ltd is a company incorporated in England & Wales. ShapeBlue Services India LLP is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue is a registered trademark.

Re: Windows Server 2008 Template

Posted by Kirk Kosinski <ki...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ian Duffy <ia...@ianduffy.ie>.
Hi Guys,

Posted by Kirk Jantzer <ki...@gmail.com>.
Ian - As the other Kirk said (I don't get to say that often :-P), if it's
getting that kind of IP, it could mean the NIC drivers aren't getting
installed correctly. I've found Windows works better in CS when you run
post scripts that are kicked off via a sysprep answer file, rather than
just wrapping things up in an image.

On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 6:58 PM, Kirk Kosinski <ki...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi, Ian. Is it getting an 169.254.x.x IP?  If so, it means it cannot get
> an IP via DHCP.  In this case, try setting the IP manually to the IP it
> should have, then try to diagnose network connectivity (ping virtual
> router, ping other VMs, etc.).
>
> Best regards,
> Kirk
>
> On 07/14/2013 03:39 PM, Ian Duffy wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm using Cloudstack 4.1 and Xenserver 6.0.2.
> >
> > I Installed windows server 2008 R2 with xenserver tools and cloud.com
> > VM instance tools.
> > syspreped it with "Enter System out of box experience" + Generalize.
> > Shutdown the machine and created a template.
> >
> > I created an instance using the template and the instance came up but:
> > 1) It had a different IP address to the one given in Cloudstack
> > 2) No gateway was set
> >
> > Any idea why this is happening and how to fix it?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Ian

Kirk Jantzer
c: (678) 561-5475