Posted to user@struts.apache.org by xianwinwin <xi...@gmail.com> on 2008/06/13 00:07:46 UTC

struts2: how to read the 'potenrial list' from a database

I have a list of 20,000 cities; I would like the user to provide at least 2
chars and then present him a'potential list'.

I managed to do this:

JSP

<s:autocompleter theme="simple" list="state" name="StateName"/>

Java:

public class autocompleter extends ActionSupport
{
  private List state;
  public String execute() throws Exception{
    state = new ArrayList();
    state.add("Bonn");
    state.add("Paris");
.
.
.

    return SUCCESS;
  }

   public List getState(){
    return state;
  }
}

as you can see, the autocompliter is based on the 'state' I initially
provided. But what if the list is huge???

Q: How can I invoke an action once the user types a letter (str) and the
string gets to the invoked-method (based on the str the method will invoke
the appropriate list)

thank you!!!

Re: [OT] Re: struts2: how to read the 'potenrial list' from a database

Posted by xianwinwin <xi...@gmail.com>.
OK...I'm getting there! I got the idea: loadOnTextChange.

so I ended up with this JSP:

<s:url id="json" value="/groupManagement_potentialList.do" />
<s:autocompleter  href="%{json}" loadOnTextChange="true"
loadMinimumCount="1"   showDownArrow="true" name="userKeys" theme="ajax"
autoComplete="true"/>

BUT where is the list?!?!?!
I can invoke a method, but how does the statement above knows which list to
use?!
And what should the potentialList method return?

THANKS for any pointers!

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Onur Idrisoglu <on...@gmail.com>.
I'm not sure if you can do that with autocompleter..
Autocompleter need the whole list at startup, but as I understand you want
to shape this list dynamically according to what user types. Each time user
types a character, the action will create a new list...

Maybe you can use DWR to do this

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 3:13 PM, Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- On Fri, 6/13/08, srichin <sr...@infosys.com> wrote:
> > I want the objects id to be the value of the option and
> > code to bethe label to be shown in the autocompleter dropdown options.
> >
> > I should be shown codes as select options in the dropdown and when I
> > select any of the code, the corresponding id should go as the
> > value that has been selected
> >
> > Pointers on this would be of great help
>
> I understand what you're trying to do, I don't understand what specific
> aspect you're having a problem with. You said you implemented the action
> with a hard-coded list. An action that uses a database instead is almost
> exactly the same, but it accesses a database instead of using a hard-coded
> list.
>
> The Struts 2.0 autocompleter docs [1] summarize the usage of the tag; the
> action will be called with the current value in the text box. You use that
> partial value to do a database search (or filter an existing list, or
> however you'll implement that part).
>
> Dave
>
> [1]
> http://struts.apache.org/2.0.11/docs/ajax-tags.html#AjaxTags-autocompleterTag
>
> > newton.dave wrote:
> > >
> > > Search a database of city names?
> > >
> > > I'm not sure what you're asking.
> > >
> > > --- On Thu, 6/12/08, xianwinwin
> > list'.

> > name="StateName"/>

> > a letter
> > str the

> > at

> > > For additional commands, e-mail:
> > user-help@struts.apache.org
> > >

> > --
> > Nabble.com.

-- --
Onur Idrisoglu

Re: struts2: how to read the 'potenrial list' from a database

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by srichin <sr...@infosys.com>.
I'm trying to use a autocompleter that is to be built from a list (of
objects).

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.