Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Ortwin Glück <od...@odi.ch> on 2006/08/11 18:00:59 UTC

NTLM supported in JRE 1.5.0_08

It's maybe noteworthy that the HTTP client within the brand new JRE
version now supports NTLM:

Odi

Re: NTLM supported in JRE 1.5.0_08

Posted by Roland Weber <ht...@dubioso.net>.
Ortwin Glück wrote:

> I don't know... I just saw it in the release notes. See for yourself:
> http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/ReleaseNotes.html#150_08

I guess they forked the 1.5.0 branch before NTLM was added to 1.4
and now merged that feature into 1.5 as well.

cheers,
  Roland

Re: NTLM supported in JRE 1.5.0_08

Posted by Ortwin Glück <od...@odi.ch>.

Posted by Roland Weber <ht...@dubioso.net>.
Hi Odi, Oleg,

>>It's maybe noteworthy that the HTTP client within the brand new JRE
>>version now supports NTLM:
>>
>>http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=4626557

I don't see what this has to do with the brand new JRE version?
The bug report says "fixed since 1.4.2", and we've know that
the 1.4 JDK on Windows supports NTLM for a while.

> The details about the fix in the issue report are kind of scarce. Does
> this require a native platform support for NTLM or is it truly pure Java
> implementation?

Sun has licensed NTLM from Microsoft for the Windows platform only.
See property "http.auth.ntlm.domain" in this document:
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/net/properties.html

I'm not sure whether their NTLM implementation in general is
pure Java. What I know is that when they access the credentials
of the logged-in user from the operating system, they are using
native code. And they don't get uid/pwd, but some hash value
from those that is required and sufficient to perform NTLM
authentication. There is no way we can plug into this, even
in contrib code.

cheers,
  Roland

Re: NTLM supported in JRE 1.5.0_08

Posted by Ortwin Glück <od...@odi.ch>.
Interesting question, Oleg. I don't know to be honest. I just read the
release notes and that's what caught my eye.

It would be interesting to see if there is a sun.*/com.sun.* class that
we could write an AuthenticationScheme wrapper for :-)

Odi

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 2006-08-11 at 18:00 +0200, Ortwin Glück wrote:
> It's maybe noteworthy that the HTTP client within the brand new JRE
> version now supports NTLM:
>
> http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=4626557
>
> Odi

Odi,