Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Jorge Esteban Quilcate Otoya <qu...@gmail.com> on 2020/08/28 18:31:43 UTC

[DISCUSS] KIP-667: Remove deprecated methods from ReadOnlyWindowStore

Hi everyone,

I'd like to propose these changes to the Window Store API.

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-667%3A+Remove+deprecated+methods+from+ReadOnlyWindowStore

As these changes involve removing deprecated methods, this KIP is targeting
the next major release v3.0.

Looking forward to your feedback.

Cheers,
Jorge

Re: [DISCUSS] KIP-667: Remove deprecated methods from ReadOnlyWindowStore

Posted by John Roesler <vv...@apache.org>.
Hi all,

Thanks for bringing this up, Jorge!

I'm not sure if we have a documented rule; I seem to recall
having had the same discussion for 2.0. My personal
suggestion would be to have a deprecation period of at least
one year, and beyond that to weigh how good we feel about
removing each deprecated member.

I.e., if a member was deprecated just barely over a year
ago, and it doesn't do any harm, and we know it's widely
used, maybe we hold off. But if a member was deprecated two
years ago, even if we know it was widely used, we should
probably just get rid of it.

The key thing to bear in mind is that deprecation itself is
just a "yellow light" to warn people that a member is going
away so we can avoid disruption when they upgrade from one
release to another. I.e., the target audience is human
beings. The deprecation period should be measured in human
time rather than number of releases for this reason.

The key question is, "What's the likelihood that almost
everyone has at least had an opportunity to encounter the
deprecation warning before we drop the method?" If the
answer is, "The likelihood is high," then we should drop it.
Note, this is also a good argument for _not_ having a strict
policy but just considering the circumstances each major
release.

In this case, I feel pretty good about dropping it. 2.1.0
will have been released over two years ago by the time of
the 3.0 release.

Of course, some people are very conservative and are still
running 1.x versions. But I'd argue that by the nature of
their conservatism, these folks are unlikely to upgrade from
1.x straight to 3.x. They'd probably stop over in the 2.x
series for a while first. Further, they probably wouldn't
just pick 2.0.0. If it were me, I'd pick a release that had
been out for around a year and that has gotten several
patches. So, 2.2.2?

Either way, it seems like 2.1 deprecations should be ok to
drop.

Thanks,
-John

Posted by Sophie Blee-Goldman <so...@confluent.io>.