Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Ken in Nashua <kc...@live.com> on 2013/04/11 08:51:26 UTC

BIRT integration

Folks,

Is there a doc or tech help on how to integrate BIRT into my tapestry app?

Thanks in advance.

I havent found anything.

- cheers

Ken

Re: BIRT integration

Posted by Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo <th...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, 11 Apr 2013 06:18:41 -0300, Dmitry Gusev <dm...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> There's nothing tapestry-specific in integrating BIRT.
> http://www.eclipse.org/birt/deploy/

The same applies for almost everything which isn't web-specific. For
example, JFreeChart: you use it in the same way you would without
Tapestry. For showing the generated charts, you'd just need to wrap them
in a StreamResponse and return it in a page's onActivate() or a page,
component or mixin event handler method.

--
Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo

Re: BIRT integration

Posted by Dmitry Gusev <dm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

--
Dmitry Gusev

AnjLab Team
http://anjlab.com

Re: BIRT integration

Posted by Dmitry Gusev <dm...@gmail.com>.
I have a blog post about deploying BIRT to tomcat, maybe this will also
help:

http://dmitrygusev.blogspot.ru/2011/09/running-birt-reports-in-tomcat.html

On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 2:05 PM, Peter Courcoux <pe...@courcoux.biz> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Birt is a substantial codebase and report generation is often very
> resource hungry.
>
> I did have Birt embedded in a tapestry application but many reports took
> longer to generate than I wanted my users to wait, so have pushed it out
> into a separate cluster, using web services, (CXF) to interface, with
> the report stored as a byte array in the db.  The reporting application
> is stateless and therefore easy to scale separately. I use a tapestry
> StreamResponse to serve the report from the db. I am pleased with this
> solution, it seems to work well.
>
> When it was embedded, I followed the advice for embedding both the
> report and design engines within an application, that resides in the
> Birt documentation and made the services Tapestry services defined in
> the AppModule class. It worked as advertised. I just wouldn't do it that
> way now for the reason above. The other thing to remember is that being
> an eclipse project, it didn't play well with maven, though that may have
> improved recently.
>
> Not quite what you were asking but hope it helps.
>
> Regards,
>
> Peter
>
> On 11/04/13 07:51, Ken in Nashua wrote:
> > Folks,
> >
> > Is there a doc or tech help on how to integrate BIRT into my tapestry
> app?
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > I havent found anything.
> >
> > - cheers