Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Eugene Krivopaltsev <eu...@mpkmail.Eng.Sun.COM> on 2001/04/03 01:05:02 UTC

Struts Action Form

I wonder how Strut's ActionForm  could deal with flexible set of data. Assume
simple scenario one have to write a Database Table Editor. A user specifies
database table name and then based on database metadata html table is being
buit. I want to have each cell to be editable. How Action Form should be defined
to reflect a universal database table schema.

Thanks,
--------------
Eugene Krivopaltsev			Sun Microsystems, Inc.
eugene.krivopaltsev@sun.com		901 San Antonio Road
Voice: 650.786.6260 (x86260)            Palo Alto, CA. 94303
Fax:   650.786.7816                     www.sun.com

Re: Struts Action Form

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Mon, 2 Apr 2001, Eugene Krivopaltsev wrote:

> I wonder how Strut's ActionForm  could deal with flexible set of data. Assume
> simple scenario one have to write a Database Table Editor. A user specifies
> database table name and then based on database metadata html table is being
> buit. I want to have each cell to be editable. How Action Form should be defined
> to reflect a universal database table schema.

Struts 1.0 doesn't have any real support for this kind of thing, but it is
high on the priority list for 1.1 -- we've been calling this feature
"dynamic properties" in earlier discussions on the list.  The secret to
being useful is not only at the bean level -- the custom tags need to
transparently support dynamic properties just like they do static ones,
without the page author knowing which kind of beans they are talking to.

At the O'Reilly Enterprise Java Conference last week, I met a guy who has
some really useful-looking code to base this on, and he's planning on
getting involved with Struts to work on this area.

> Thanks,
> Eugene Krivopaltsev			Sun Microsystems, Inc.
> eugene.krivopaltsev@sun.com		901 San Antonio Road
> Voice: 650.786.6260 (x86260)            Palo Alto, CA. 94303
> Fax:   650.786.7816                     www.sun.com

Craig