Posted to dev@airavata.apache.org by Marlon Pierce <ma...@iu.edu> on 2014/01/16 20:50:41 UTC

Commit messages, Jira, and version control

Hi all--

We have discussed $subject before for other reasons without much action
[0], so I want to bring it up again.  Unless the situation has changed
recently, Apache's Jira no longer links SVN commit messages to Jira
tickets.  For background on the issues with SVN, see [1].  This ticket
is still unresolved.

The general linking of repo commits to Jira tickets through commit
comments [2] is a good and virtuous thing.  We have lost this in
Airavata and need to get it back.  This requires moving to Git [3] [4].

What other consequences are there for doing this?  Let's please
discuss.  It will take a bit of time from INFRA to make the conversion,
but this doesn't seem to be awful.  We need to preserve history if we do
this.  What else?

Thanks--

Marlon

[0] https://www.mail-archive.com/dev@airavata.apache.org/msg03881.html

[1] https://ecosystem.atlassian.net/browse/SVN-385

[2] http://www.apache.org/dev/svngit2jira.html

[3] https://git-wip-us.apache.org/

[4]
https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20INFRA%20AND%20text%20~%20%22git%20svn%22

Re: Commit messages, Jira, and version control

Posted by Danushka Menikkumbura <da...@gmail.com>.
+1.

There are more important aspects of Git that makes it appealing.
Restructuring the code base is a completely different exercise where using
Git repositories for different modules is just part of it.

Posted by Marlon Pierce <ma...@iu.edu>.

Posted by Amila Jayasekara <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Shameera Rathnayaka <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Amila,

<th...@gmail.com>wrote:

>> Isn't it good to use separate repository to XBaya? My point is, Then we
>> can introduce another GUI client( Web base) and deprecate XBaya in future.
>>

> I do not think it is good to have XBaya in a separate repo. There are lot
> of common code which XBaya and other artefacts share.

IMO as a GUI client, Xbaya only depend on Airavata client api? If not isn't
it better to do this separation? As a result we will end up getting rich
client API. WDYT?

> So it is bit tricky how to separate these artefacts into 2 separate repos.
> Also incase if we find a blocker in common code we anyhow have to release
> both repositories. So in long term it will be a hassle to maintain 2 repos.
> Again Airavata is not a huge code base, therefore working with a single
> repository will be easy IMO.

Yes i agree with you, if the code base it not huge it is always good to
keep all in one repository. the rational behind above suggestion is ,
Airavata will have multiple GUI clients( XBaya, Web base GUI , etc ... ) in
future. IMO server side developer will not works on GUI client code
frequently. But first of all we need to decouple XBaya from server code.

> It is certainly good to think about these now. Thanks for bringing this
> Shameera.

you are welcome Amila :).

Thanks,
Shameera.

Posted by Amila Jayasekara <th...@gmail.com>.
Hi Shameera,

Some comments inline.

On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 11:53 PM, Shameera Rathnayaka <
shameerainfo@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just needed to take attention for git repository structure before we go
> with same structure that we have with SVN. It is always good to understand
> what are the options we have and what is best suite for Airavata. This is a
> good place to change the structure of project if it is required.

You are correct. I agree this is a good time to think about module
structure and a good time to change if we want.

> Therefore I would like to suggest that we need to rethink of our module
> structure, IMO we are too fine grain here. As an example under the rest
> module we have another four sub modules( can't we merge client and mapping
> modules? ) and for thrift we have two top modules can't we go with one?
> Please correct me if i am wrong ?

I am not sure about thrift, but I kind of like how we have organized rest
module right now. IMO I dont think it is too fine grained. I think we have
correct modularity. According to my experience so far it is easy for me to
work with the module structure (for REST) we have right now. But others may
have different view points.

> Isn't it good to use separate repository to XBaya? My point is, Then we
> can introduce another GUI client( Web base) and deprecate XBaya in future.

I do not think it is good to have XBaya in a separate repo. There are lot
of common code which XBaya and other artefacts share. So it is bit tricky
how to separate these artefacts into 2 separate repos. Also incase if we
find a blocker in common code we anyhow have to release both repositories.

Posted by Shameera Rathnayaka <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I just needed to take attention for git repository structure before we go
with same structure that we have with SVN. It is always good to understand
what are the options we have and what is best suite for Airavata. This is a
good place to change the structure of project if it is required. Therefore

Posted by Suresh Marru <sm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Amila Jayasekara <th...@gmail.com>.
Hi Suresh,

Posted by Danushka Menikkumbura <da...@gmail.com>.