Posted to dev@plc4x.apache.org by Lukas Ott <ot...@gmail.com> on 2022/04/19 19:52:03 UTC

PLC4Py - Change of Build System - Poetry is for the time beeing not suitable anymore

Hello PLC4X Developers,

As shown here: https://github.com/apache/plc4x/pull/348

We started the discussion to change our build system.

Poetry has at the moment an increasing amount of issues:
https://github.com/python-poetry/poetry/issues

Which are not fixed soon. Even that Poetry is a good solution and was the
right decision to begin with. We need a solution that works for our
purposes.

Therefore here are some links comparing different possibilities:
https://remastr.com/blog/pip-pipenv-poetry-comparison

https://www.reddit.com/r/Python/comments/limd9t/poetry_vs_pipenv_vs_piptools_what_do_you_use/

My suggestion would be to go with https://pypi.org/project/pip-tools/ It is
more low-level but also more stable / reliable.

What are your thoughts?

Thank you Ben! It is really fun to read / see your work in the Pull request
:-)

Cheers,
Lukas

Re: PLC4Py - Change of Build System - Poetry is for the time beeing not suitable anymore

Posted by Ben Hutcheson <be...@gmail.com>.
PR-354 contains an updated plc4py/pom.xml which uses pipenv, the Pipfile is
in .gitignore and is generated from setup.py as part of the build.

This makes it so we don't have to maintain the Pipfile and setup.py and can
just use setup.py.
However the downside is that running maven install takes way too long as it
resolves the dependencies each time.
PyCharm also thinks it's an external library when using an PipEnv
interpreter as the Pipfile treats plc4py as an imported package.

This thread is kind of interesting.
https://github.com/pypa/pipenv/issues/1911

Using venv we don't need an external dependency, and we can specify the
location of the venv. I'm kind of leaning towards it.

Posted by Otto Fowler <ot...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
So let's see if this then works on windows as on my system I couldn't get plc4py to work :-)

Posted by Ben Hutcheson <be...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Lukas Ott <ot...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sebastian Rühl <sr...@apache.org>.
pip-tools SGTM

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Stable and reliable is always good :-)

Holen Sie sich Outlook für Android<https://aka.ms/AAb9ysg>
________________________________

Posted by Stephen Snow <s4...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, 2022-04-19 at 21:52 +0200, Lukas Ott wrote:
> Hello PLC4X Developers,
>
> As shown here: https://github.com/apache/plc4x/pull/348
>
> We started the discussion to change our build system.
>
> Poetry has at the moment an increasing amount of issues:
> https://github.com/python-poetry/poetry/issues
>
> Which are not fixed soon. Even that Poetry is a good solution and was
> the
> right decision to begin with. We need a solution that works for our
> purposes.
>
> Therefore here are some links comparing different possibilities:
> https://remastr.com/blog/pip-pipenv-poetry-comparison
>
> https://www.reddit.com/r/Python/comments/limd9t/poetry_vs_pipenv_vs_piptools_what_do_you_use/
>
> My suggestion would be to go with
> https://pypi.org/project/pip-tools/ It is
> more low-level but also more stable / reliable.
>
> What are your thoughts?

With python I've only ever used npm since I run Fedora Linux. I find it
very useful, but I am not a daily user of it.

Stephen