Posted to user@flink.apache.org by "Yan Zhou [FDS Science]" <yz...@coupang.com> on 2018/04/18 06:55:02 UTC

why doesn't the over-window-aggregation sort the element(considering watermark) before processing?

Hi,

I use bounded over-window  aggregation in my application. However, sometimes some input elements are "discarded" and not generating output. By reading the source code of RowTimeBoundedRangeOver.scala, I realize the record is actually discarded if it is out of order. Please see the quoted code block below. Please help me to understand why don't we sort the record first? Said we are using BoundedOutOfOrdernessTimestampExtractor. we can use watermark to select a portion of the elements to do the sorting. when watermark proceeds, process the elements that are before the watermark and extend the portion of elements for sorting.

Best

Yan

override def processElement(
    inputC: CRow,
    ctx: ProcessFunction[CRow, CRow]#Context,
    out: Collector[CRow]): Unit = {
// triggering timestamp for trigger calculation
val triggeringTs = input.getField(rowTimeIdx).asInstanceOf[Long]

val lastTriggeringTs = lastTriggeringTsState.value

// check if the data is expired, if not, save the data and register event time timer
if (triggeringTs > lastTriggeringTs) {
// put in cache, and register timer to process/clean
// ...
}else{
// DISCARD
}
}

Re: why doesn't the over-window-aggregation sort the element(considering watermark) before processing?

Posted by "Yan Zhou [FDS Science]" <yz...@coupang.com>.
nvm, I figure it out. The event is not process once it's arrived. It's registered to processed in event time. It make sense.

best

Yan

Posted by Fabian Hueske <fh...@gmail.com>.