Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by David Rees <dr...@greenhydrant.com> on 2003/12/10 08:17:46 UTC

Manager context reload behavior difference in TC 5 vs 4

When reloading an app in TC 4 with the Manager app, it had the nice
behavior of blocking any new requests until the app was reloaded.  TC 5
seems to return blank pages while a context is reloading.

The behavior of TC 4 is preferred since that way if someone happens to
hit the context during the reload, it only seems to them that the server
is slow in stead of being broken.

Is this known behavior?  Any comments between the two behaviors?

-Dave

Re: Manager context reload behavior difference in TC 5 vs 4

Posted by David Rees <dr...@greenhydrant.com>.
Remy Maucherat wrote:
> David Rees wrote:
>
>> When reloading an app in TC 4 with the Manager app, it had the nice
>> behavior of blocking any new requests until the app was reloaded.  TC
>> 5 seems to return blank pages while a context is reloading.
>>
>> The behavior of TC 4 is preferred since that way if someone happens to
>> hit the context during the reload, it only seems to them that the
>> server is slow in stead of being broken.
>>
>> Is this known behavior?  Any comments between the two behaviors?
>
> To solve the recurrent bugs and problems caused by reload and simplify
> the code, reload was replaced with the stop/start sequence. So
> unfortunately the side effect is that this cannot work anymore, and we
> need a more generic mechanism to "wait".

Thanks for the input, Remy.

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@jboss.org>.

--
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx