Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Gorkem Ercan <go...@gmail.com> on 2014/06/27 14:43:37 UTC

usenpm and old versions

Hi All,
Is there a plan to provide the older Cordova versions of the platforms on
npm. At the moment only version 3.5.0 is available, I think one of the
value adds with usenpm is the ability to use older versions.
--
Gorkem

Re: usenpm and old versions

Posted by Michal Mocny <mm...@chromium.org>.
Download logic is part of the CLI for convenience, but there have been
several proposals to change this in the future.

Either way, Mark already added the awesome feature: `cordova platform add
/path/to/platform`, so you can already chose to fetch any version any way,
and install it that way.

I don't see value in releasing old versions to npm, we need more
motivations to get people to upgrade, and if there are valid reasons to
refrain, devs should speak up.  The ability to install at specific versions
I think is most useful for temporary transitions of apps to new releases,
and so the problem of installing old versions using non-npm flow I hope
goes away as we release the next (2?) releases to npm.

But as Ian said, the releases are on dist and have been voted on, so I
wouldn't be opposed to someone else putting in the rather trivial amount of
effort.

-Michal

Re: usenpm and old versions

Posted by Gorkem Ercan <go...@gmail.com>.

Re: usenpm and old versions

Re: usenpm and old versions

Posted by Gorkem Ercan <go...@gmail.com>.
I imagine versions greater than 3.0.0 would be the target. I have doubts
that CLI can support earlier versions (may even choke on some of the >3.0.0
versions).

I am OK with uploading only the latest patched versions so that we would
have to do less.
--
Gorkem

Re: usenpm and old versions