Posted to dev@geode.apache.org by Udo Kohlmeyer <ud...@vmware.com> on 2020/07/09 20:18:50 UTC

[Proposal] - RFC etiquette

Hi there Geode Dev's

I would like to propose the following changes to the RFC process that we have in place at the moment.

  1.  All submitted RFC’s will provide a minimum 2 week review period. This is to allow the community to review the RFC in a reasonable timeframe. If we rush things, we will miss things. I’d rather have a little more time spent on the RFC review and getting the approach “correct” than rushing the RFC and then at a later point in time (either at PR review or worse production issue) find out that the approach was less than optimal.
  2.  Add a new section to the RFC. I would like to propose this section to be labelled “Use Cases”. In this section I would like all submitters to describe the use case that this RFC is to fulfill. This would include all possible combinations (success and failure) and expected outcomes of each.

I hope with the additions to the RFC process and template we can better round out each RFC. Causing less delays later in the process and allowing all community members to actively participate in the review process regardless of technical skill level.

Thoughts or comments?

—Udo

Re: [Proposal] - RFC etiquette

Posted by Udo Kohlmeyer <ud...@vmware.com>.
Hi there Alberto,

I’m merely trying to improve the RFC process. We learn and improve. Get more community members to feel empowered to be able to review an RFC, not only from the perspective of is it technically feasible but also from a process and “business” sense.

Having a better understand of what we expect and component of system to do is paramount here, even if just from a high-level.

—Udo
On Jul 10, 2020, 1:08 AM -0700, Alberto Gomez <al...@est.tech>, wrote:
Hi Geode Devs,

First of all, Udo, thanks for your proposal. I am all up for what you are aiming at: "better round out each RFC. Causing less delays later in the process and allowing all community members to actively participate in the review process regardless of technical skill level."

Secondly, I think I am to blame for having given two little time to review the latest RFC I have published. I apologize for it. I felt the changes were too small, assumed that the solution was not problematic and as a result gave less than a week to review which I now think is too little even if the RFC content was small. This has probably triggered Udo's proposal so, in a way, it has not been such a bad thing 😉.

Regarding the concrete proposal to achieve the goal, I think the 2 week minimum period is very reasonable. The new use case section may help to have more community members actively participating but I am not sure that it will be the definitive measure. I feel that sometimes the lack of participation comes from lack of time because we're busy with other things and not so much with how the RFC proposal has been written. Anyhow, having an example of what this new section should look like would be helpful for new RFCs to be written.

Alberto

________________________________

Re: [Proposal] - RFC etiquette

Re: [Proposal] - RFC etiquette

Posted by Owen Nichols <on...@vmware.com>.
+1

Even for smaller changes that only need a PR (not a whole RFC) it's a good habit to include some detail about the use cases.  Both reviewers and future committers benefit from thoughtful commit messages and PR descriptions that mention *why*, not just *what* was changed.

On 7/9/20, 6:15 PM, "Dave Barnes" <db...@apache.org> wrote:

    +1

    "Adding a section" (Udo's language) for Use Cases is a positive way of
    encouraging RFC authors to provide that material, without saying it's an
    iron-clad requirement. Exactly the right way to do it. Commenters can
    request more detail when they review it.

Re: [Proposal] - RFC etiquette

Posted by Dave Barnes <db...@apache.org>.
+1

Re: [Proposal] - RFC etiquette