Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by manua <ag...@gmail.com> on 2013/06/21 16:12:46 UTC

Slow Consumer slows down the producer

Hi,

I am using ActiveMQ 5.8.0 and publishing messages on a topic, on which there
is a slow consumer. Approx. 8000 messages are published at a interval of 1
minute. All messages are sent all together. I have set the
constantPendingMessageLimitStrategy limit to "50000" in the conf file and
prefetch in the consumer is 10000, but even after first 8000 messages are
published, the publisher is slowed down and the broker cpu usage also
reaches to 200%. The destination policy settings from my activemq.xml are as
below. Please let me know if I am doing anything wrong with the conf
settings or what else could be the reason for such behavior.

<destinationPolicy>
            <policyMap>
              <policyEntries>
                <policyEntry topic=">" producerFlowControl="true">

                  <pendingMessageLimitStrategy>
                    <constantPendingMessageLimitStrategy limit="50000"/>
                  </pendingMessageLimitStrategy>
                </policyEntry>
                <policyEntry queue=">" producerFlowControl="true"
memoryLimit="2gb">

                </policyEntry>
              </policyEntries>
            </policyMap>
        </destinationPolicy>

Thanks
Manu

Re: Slow Consumer slows down the producer

Posted by manua <ag...@gmail.com>.
These are small json string messages. The memory settings are,

<systemUsage>
            <systemUsage>
                <memoryUsage>
                    <memoryUsage limit="1 gb"/>
                </memoryUsage>
                <storeUsage>
                    <storeUsage limit="100 gb"/>
                </storeUsage>
                <tempUsage>
                    <tempUsage limit="50 gb"/>
                </tempUsage>
            </systemUsage>
        </systemUsage>

Re: Slow Consumer slows down the producer

Posted by Christian Posta <ch...@gmail.com>.
how large of messages? what are you memory settings?

On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 10:12 AM, manua <ag...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am using ActiveMQ 5.8.0 and publishing messages on a topic, on which
> there
> is a slow consumer. Approx. 8000 messages are published at a interval of 1
> minute. All messages are sent all together. I have set the
> constantPendingMessageLimitStrategy limit to "50000" in the conf file and
> prefetch in the consumer is 10000, but even after first 8000 messages are
> published, the publisher is slowed down and the broker cpu usage also
> reaches to 200%. The destination policy settings from my activemq.xml are
> as
> below. Please let me know if I am doing anything wrong with the conf
> settings or what else could be the reason for such behavior.
>
> <destinationPolicy>
>             <policyMap>
>               <policyEntries>
>                 <policyEntry topic=">" producerFlowControl="true">
>
>                   <pendingMessageLimitStrategy>
>                     <constantPendingMessageLimitStrategy limit="50000"/>
>                   </pendingMessageLimitStrategy>
>                 </policyEntry>
>                 <policyEntry queue=">" producerFlowControl="true"
> memoryLimit="2gb">
>
>                 </policyEntry>
>               </policyEntries>
>             </policyMap>