Posted to user@hadoop.apache.org by Mohammad Tariq <do...@gmail.com> on 2012/11/28 23:09:19 UTC

Guidelines for production cluster

Hello list,

     Although a lot of similar discussions have been done here, I still
seek some of your able guidance. Till now I have worked only on small or
mid-sized clusters. But this time situation is a bit different. I have to
cpollect a lot of legacy data, stored over last few decades. This data is
on tape drives and I have to collect it from there and store in my cluster.
The size could go somewhere near 24 Petabytes (inclusive of replication).

Now, I need some help to kick this off, like what could be the optimal
config for my NN+JT, DN+TT+RS,  HMaster, ZK machines?

What should be the no. of slaves and ZK peers nodes keeping this config in
mind?

What is the optimal network config for a cluster of this size.

Which kind of disks would be more efficient?

Please do provide me some guidance as I want to have some expert comments
before moving ahead. Many thanks.

Regards,
    Mohammad Tariq

Re: Guidelines for production cluster

Posted by Mohammad Tariq <do...@gmail.com>.
Thanks again Gaurav. At least 1 file will be read at a time. File is the
atomic unit and each of these binary file can go upto 1TB in size.

Latency is not a major concern, since almost 99.99% of the stuff would be
offline and will involve batch processing. So, we can compromise there.

Thank you for the pointer. I'll definitely have a look over it.

Regards,
    Mohammad Tariq

Posted by Mohammad Tariq <do...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mohammad Tariq <do...@gmail.com>.