Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Phong Dais <ph...@gmail.com> on 2010/11/29 19:20:17 UTC

DIH causing "shutdown hook executing"?

Hi,

I am in the process of trying to index about 50 mil documents using the data
import handler.
For some reason, about 2 days into the import, I see this message "shutdown
hook executing" in the log and the solr web server instance exits
"gracefully".
I do not see any errors in the entire log.  This has happened twice now,
usually 5 mil or so documents into the import process.

Does anyone out there knows what this message mean?  It's an INFO log
message so I don't think it is caused by any error.
Does this problem occur because the os is asking the server to shut down
(for whatever reason) or is there something wrong with the server causing it
to shutdown?

Thanks for any help,
Phong

Re: DIH causing "shutdown hook executing"?

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
Try without autocommit or bump the limit up considerably to see
if it changes the behavior. You should not be getting
this kind of performance hit after the first million  docs, so, it's
probably worth exploring.

See if you can find anything in your logs that indicates what's
hogging the critical resource maybe?

Best
Erick

Posted by Phong Dais <ph...@gmail.com>.