Posted to muse-user@ws.apache.org by Ch...@swisscom.com on 2007/09/02 19:28:39 UTC

RE: EndpointReference thread-safe?

Hi All,

I don't think synchronizing on any set of functions will solve the
problem.  EndpointReference is using XmlUtils.EMPTY_DOC i.e. a single
document instance for every thread.  As Dong said, according the the
javadocs ( and XmlUtils.createBuilder() of course ^_^) you must use a
DocumentBuilder per thread, the documents used within it cannot be used
safely across threads (or the document builder itself) when involving
writes.

So unless I'm missing something (always possible) EndpointReference
should be using XmlUtils.createDocument() instead (lines 124, 175 and
239).  I think its a bug, and if its agreed to be one, I'll have a look
for others (72 references to EMPTY_DOC in the codebase) as this is also
very important to me, and raise Jiras with patches off the 2.2 code.

Vinh/Dong is it possible to verify this works as a fix?

cheers,
Chris

PS(If any one wants me to make patches against latest HEAD instead, let
me know)

Posted by "Vinh Nguyen (vinguye2)" <vi...@cisco.com>.
Hi Dong and Chris,
Thanks for your replies.  Let's merge onto the thread "EMPTY_DOC thread
stability issues".  This EPR problem stems from this.
-Vinh

Posted by dnguyen <do...@l-3comcept.com>.
Hi Chris,

Posted by Ch...@swisscom.com.