Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Makrand <ma...@gmail.com> on 2016/07/29 07:57:00 UTC

Setting DEBUG log level on management node

Guys,

How do one go and change the default INFO level of logs to DEBUG in
cloudstack?  I am having some issues with large (250GB+) volumes migrations
and the INFO level logs are not giving any sufficient information.

I've edited /etc/cloudstack/management/log4j-cloud.xml and set DEBUG
following way. (Under last heading Setup the Root category). This is ACS
4.4.2 with single management node.

<!-- ======================= -->
   <!-- Setup the Root category -->
   <!-- ======================= -->

   <root>
      <level value="DEBUG"/>
      <appender-ref ref="SYSLOG"/>
      <appender-ref ref="CONSOLE"/>
      <appender-ref ref="FILE"/>
   </root>

</log4j:configuration>

Is this sufficient or do I need to change things anywhere else as well?
Please note, after doing this  I made  another volume migration attempt
which failed with unexpected exception, but I found no new lines in logs.
Still seeing the same lines as old for errors. Am I missing anything?

--
Best,
Makrand

Re: Setting DEBUG log level on management node

Posted by Koushik Das <ko...@accelerite.com>.
Check if the following entries are present in the config

   <category name="com.cloud">
     <priority value="DEBUG"/>
   </category>

   <category name="org.apache.cloudstack">
     <priority value="DEBUG"/>
   </category>

On 30/07/16, 2:52 PM, "Jithin Raju" <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Makrand,

By default com.cloud is set with DEBUG level . Find com.cloud under Limit
categories and verify the verbosity.

On Fri, Jul 29, 2016, 1:27 PM Makrand <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Guys,
>
> How do one go and change the default INFO level of logs to DEBUG in
> cloudstack?  I am having some issues with large (250GB+) volumes migrations
> and the INFO level logs are not giving any sufficient information.
>

> I've edited /etc/cloudstack/management/log4j-cloud.xml and set DEBUG
> following way. (Under last heading Setup the Root category). This is ACS
> 4.4.2 with single management node.
>

> <!-- ======================= -->
>    <!-- Setup the Root category -->
>    <!-- ======================= -->
>
>    <root>
>       <level value="DEBUG"/>
>       <appender-ref ref="SYSLOG"/>
>       <appender-ref ref="CONSOLE"/>
>       <appender-ref ref="FILE"/>
>    </root>
>
> </log4j:configuration>
>
> Is this sufficient or do I need to change things anywhere else as well?
> Please note, after doing this  I made  another volume migration attempt
> which failed with unexpected exception, but I found no new lines in logs.
> Still seeing the same lines as old for errors. Am I missing anything?
>

> --
> Best,
> Makrand

DISCLAIMER
This e-mail may contain privileged and confidential information which is the property of Accelerite, a Persistent Systems business. It is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to read, retain, copy, print, distribute or use this message. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender and delete all copies of this message. Accelerite, a Persistent Systems business does not accept any liability for virus infected mails.

Re: Setting DEBUG log level on management node

Posted by Jithin Raju <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi Makrand,