Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Leif Hanack <le...@t-systems.de> on 2001/10/27 15:31:28 UTC

james and binding POP3/SMTP

hello,

i'm new to james and have a problem. using james locally works fine!

when i try to let james receive mails from e.g. a web accont he cashes!
i edited the james.conf.xml file and bind james to a known pop3 server.
staring james results in an automatic termination of the james-process!

any idea?

may s.o. send me a sample james.conf.xml where he/she bind james to another
mail server?!

thanks in advance, leif

Re: james and binding POP3/SMTP

Posted by Oki DZ <ok...@pindad.com>.
On Mon, 29 Oct 2001, Leif Hanack wrote:
> thanks,

No problem.

> but may i use james to serve the internet?

Yes you may; sure...

> do i need to connect james
> to an existing pop3 server then?! is there some doc concerning this?!

No, you don't need to connect James to any POP server; it comes with a POP
server. BTW, you might need to, though. It that case, I don't know the
available solutions for you. But I have tried to use "fetchmail" to
do that; to forward the retrieved messages to James. All I need was to add
--smtphost <James machine> option in the command line.

Oki

RE: james and binding POP3/SMTP

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@thought.co.uk>.
James provides SMTP to recieve messages from the internet, to do this you
need to:
1/ have a connection
2/ install James
3/ telnet to 4555 and adduser
4/ send mail to your user at an email address like either
username@host.domain.tld or username@[123.123.123.123] where the 123's are
your IP address.

to send mail, set the IP or host.domain.tld of your JAMES server in your
mail client's connection settings.

James will then recieve this email, process it and deposit it into a POP3
mailbox for the relevant user to collect.

d.

> thanks,
> but may i use james to serve the internet? do i need to connect james
> to an existing pop3 server then?!

No.

Re: james and binding POP3/SMTP

Posted by Leif Hanack <le...@t-systems.de>.
> As I understand it, the <bind></bind> elements are for binding the server
> to certain IP numbers; say, your James server runs on a machine that has 2
> NIC - one is connected to the local net and the other is to the Internet,
> and then you want to have James to serve local network only. It's where
> you need to bind James to, to the local NIC's IP number.

thanks,
but may i use james to serve the internet? do i need to connect james
to an existing pop3 server then?! is there some doc concerning this?!

tia, leif

Re: james and binding POP3/SMTP

Posted by Oki DZ <ok...@pindad.com>.