Posted to user@mahout.apache.org by David Kaplan <da...@gmail.com> on 2015/08/12 14:49:29 UTC

Mahout Clustering Help Please

Hi all,
Hope someone can please point me in the right direction,
Very new to mahout..
Here's my scenario:

I have written a system that collects Classifieds items from multiple
websites - phones,cars,antiques and many more using scrapy, all the items
are then ingested into Solr - +- 3 million entries.
 This is then the backend for my search engine

 I want to be able to extract meaningful information to accurately
calculate realistic price average etc. I need guidance/perhaps examples in
accurate outlier detection, categorization etc extreme beginner in machine
learning so need to know if that's what I should be using

 Part of my challenge is the broad range of items/categories, different
levels of skewed data etc. e.g. finding outliers with "iphone" results when
many of those are cheap iphone accessories.

Basically it seems i need to cluster/classify but not sure exactly how to
go about it, because i do already have the categories for 500K of the
entries, example category "Cell Phones & Accessories - Accessories"

And then actually connecting Mahout to Solr...

Many thanks!
David

Re: Mahout Clustering Help Please

Posted by Pat Ferrel <pa...@occamsmachete.com>.
What exactly is you goal? Taking those names and de-duping to see which are talking about the same thing?

Here is an example of weird data. A refurbished iPhone 5C for 4589.0?????

"Apple iPhone 5C 16GB (Green) - Refurbished","Cell Phones & Accessories -
Cell Phones & Smartphones",4589.0

Honestly I wouldn’t know where to begin.

On Aug 13, 2015, at 6:53 AM, David Kaplan <da...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Pat,
Thanks for the reply,
Yes I think there are a lot of problems,

So there are 4 data sources, they each use different categorisation
conventions, some one level,some multilevel,
so I basically picked one source that is about 500K of the entries out of 3
million,

I do have the prices, the data is separated in solr, so i can extract
title, category and price.

My confusion is trying to work out classifier vs clustering as I understand
it clustering is when you don't
have labelled data, but I do for some. Am i looking for a hybrid
classifier/clustering - kmeans or is just SVM sufficient?

To make matters more complicated they are categories and then
sub-categories, so "Cell Phones & Accessories" => "Accesories" ,
Don't know if that means i have train separate models?

Example data snippet:

"2800mAh External Battery Backup Power Bank and Leather Case for iPhone 5 -
White","Cell Phones & Accessories - Accessories",529.0
"Apple iPhone 5C 16GB (Green) - Refurbished","Cell Phones & Accessories -
Cell Phones & Smartphones",4589.0
"Orange PLA 3D Printer Filament 1.75mm 1kg","Computers & Networking -
Printers",375.0
"Canon LV-7292 S Projector","Electronics - TVs & Projectors",6998.0

Perhaps I'm overcomplicating the problem...

Many thanks,
David

Posted by David Kaplan <da...@gmail.com>.
Hi Pat,