Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by James M Snell <ja...@gmail.com> on 2006/05/25 01:47:00 UTC

Name options (was Re: ARI, Atom Reference Implementation [Proposal])

Ok, so here are a few of the name options that seem to be the safest (in
no particular order)

Iaea          (adapted, of course, from the U.N. nuclear watchdog group)
Anu           (Dims suggestion, sanskrit for "atom")
Atomico       (Spanish/Italian for "atomic")
Dalton        (Suggested by Robert B. Donkin)
Abdera        (birthplace of the philosopher Demokritos)

I think any of these would work.

- James

Re: Name options (was Re: ARI, Atom Reference Implementation [Proposal])

Posted by James M Snell <ja...@gmail.com>.
Trademarked. I liked it too.

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=b0fu7h.2.1

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org>.
> Ok, so here are a few of the name options that seem to be the safest (in
> no particular order)
>
> Iaea          (adapted, of course, from the U.N. nuclear watchdog group)
> Anu           (Dims suggestion, sanskrit for "atom")
> Atomico       (Spanish/Italian for "atomic")
> Dalton        (Suggested by Robert B. Donkin)
> Abdera        (birthplace of the philosopher Demokritos)

Did I miss something or what was wrong with "Atomate"? I really liked that one.

cheers
--
Torsten

Re: Name options (was Re: ARI, Atom Reference Implementation [Proposal])

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org>.
> How about Nucleus or Nucleo? Or in German: Atomkern ;-)

nucleus is taken ...a blogging system

cheers
--
Torsten

Re: Name options (was Re: ARI, Atom Reference Implementation [Proposal])

Posted by Erik Abele <er...@codefaktor.de>.
On 25.05.2006, at 01:47, James M Snell wrote:

> Ok, so here are a few of the name options that seem to be the
> safest (in
> no particular order)
>
> Iaea          (adapted, of course, from the U.N. nuclear watchdog
> group)
> Anu           (Dims suggestion, sanskrit for "atom")
> Atomico       (Spanish/Italian for "atomic")
> Dalton        (Suggested by Robert B. Donkin)
> Abdera        (birthplace of the philosopher Demokritos)
>
> I think any of these would work.

How about Nucleus or Nucleo? Or in German: Atomkern ;-)

Cheers,
Erik

Re: Name options (was Re: ARI, Atom Reference Implementation [Proposal])

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 5/25/06, Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 5/24/06, James M Snell <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Ok, so here are a few of the name options that seem to be the safest (in
> > no particular order)
> >
> > Iaea          (adapted, of course, from the U.N. nuclear watchdog group)
> > Anu           (Dims suggestion, sanskrit for "atom")
> > Atomico       (Spanish/Italian for "atomic")
> > Dalton        (Suggested by Robert B. Donkin)
> > Abdera        (birthplace of the philosopher Demokritos)
>

> Of these, I like the last one, Abdera.

+1 abdera

- robert

Re: Name options (was Re: ARI, Atom Reference Implementation [Proposal])

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.
+1 to Abdera.

Atomic is my second choice of this list.

Iaea is very hard to pronounce.

Yoav

On 5/24/06, Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com> wrote:
> +1 to abdera.
>
> On 5/24/06, Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
> > On 5/24/06, James M Snell <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Ok, so here are a few of the name options that seem to be the safest (in
> > > no particular order)
> > >
> > > Iaea          (adapted, of course, from the U.N. nuclear watchdog group)
> > > Anu           (Dims suggestion, sanskrit for "atom")
> > > Atomico       (Spanish/Italian for "atomic")
> > > Dalton        (Suggested by Robert B. Donkin)
> > > Abdera        (birthplace of the philosopher Demokritos)
> >

> > Of these, I like the last one, Abdera.
> >
> > (Anu is also a female first name, and - JAMES notwithstanding - I'm not that
> > fond of picking people's names for project names.)
> >
> > --
> > Martin.
> >

> > I think any of these would work.
> > >
> > > - James

Yoav Shapira
Nimalex LLC
1 Mifflin Place, Suite 310
Cambridge, MA, USA

Re: Name options (was Re: ARI, Atom Reference Implementation [Proposal])

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
+1 to abdera.

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.
On Wed, 2006-05-24 at 16:52 -0700, Martin Cooper wrote:
> Of these, I like the last one, Abdera.

+1.

Sanjiva.

Re: Name options (was Re: ARI, Atom Reference Implementation [Proposal])

Posted by Samisa Abeysinghe <sa...@gmail.com>.
Martin Cooper wrote:

> On 5/24/06, James M Snell <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Ok, so here are a few of the name options that seem to be the safest (in
>> no particular order)
>>
>> Iaea          (adapted, of course, from the U.N. nuclear watchdog group)
>> Anu           (Dims suggestion, sanskrit for "atom")
>> Atomico       (Spanish/Italian for "atomic")
>> Dalton        (Suggested by Robert B. Donkin)
>> Abdera        (birthplace of the philosopher Demokritos)

+1 to Abdera.
Atomico is my second preferred.

Samisa...

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by James M Snell <ja...@gmail.com>.
The project will consist of three distinct components

a. An Atom parser/serializer.  This is the Axiom-based code that is
available in the tar referenced by the proposal

b. An Atom Publishing Protocol Client... likely taking the form of a set
of utility/helper objects based on the Commons HttpClient

c. An Atom Publishing Protocol Server... likely taking the form of a set
of interfaces and utility objects intended to allow any application to
provide an "atom interface".

Ultimately, I would also like to see an "Atom store" developed.  The
Atom store is a data persistent layer built around the Atom data model
and publishing protocol.

- James

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.
Hi James,