Posted to users@buildr.apache.org by Antoine Toulme <an...@lunar-ocean.com> on 2009/12/09 00:14:01 UTC

Package Buildr plugins with Buildr standalone distributions

Hi guys,

I have been working a bit with the standalone distrib of Buildr mounted on
JRuby and I liked it so far, I think it offers a very simple way to have
buildr around.

I had the need to install gems on that jruby installation and my quick fix
was to edit the buildr executable, remove the mention of _buildr, run:
buildr gem install mygem

Two questions:
1. Can we have a way to install Buildr gems as part of Buildr in an easy way
?
2. Can we prepackage Buildr with one or more plugins and distribute it that
way ? Either on apache.org or at the plugin website ? If yes, what would be
the instructions to do that ?

Thanks,

Antoine

Re: Package Buildr plugins with Buildr standalone distributions

Posted by Antoine Toulme <an...@lunar-ocean.com>.
Opened https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BUILDR-355 to follow up on
this.

Thanks!

Posted by Alex Boisvert <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Antoine Toulme <an...@lunar-ocean.com>.
Alex,

Posted by Antoine Toulme <an...@lunar-ocean.com>.

Posted by Alex Boisvert <al...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 5:55 PM, Antoine Toulme <an...@lunar-ocean.com>wrote:

> OK I just tried, it worked for me.

Cool!

> For some reason rake -T doesn't return all-in-one ?

Fixed.

alex

Re: Package Buildr plugins with Buildr standalone distributions

Posted by Antoine Toulme <an...@lunar-ocean.com>.
OK I just tried, it worked for me.

For some reason rake -T doesn't return all-in-one ?

Cheers,

Antoine

Posted by Alex Boisvert <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Antoine Toulme <an...@lunar-ocean.com>.
On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 16:11, Alex Boisvert <al...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 3:51 PM, Antoine Toulme <an...@lunar-ocean.com>wrote:

>>> Good to hear.
>>>
>>> I had the need to install gems on that jruby installation and my quick
>>>>

>>> That's the kind of feedback I was hoping for :)

>>> Yes, we could leave the original jruby executable/scripts in the distro
>>> for that purpose.
>>>
>> Indeed.

>>> Possible but I'd personally rather do #1.   Sooner or later you want to
>>> add another plugin and I'd rather avoid the combinational explosion of
>>> distros.
>>>
>> After giving it some more thought, I think in that case, such a distro
>> would not be buildr anymore. Buildr would be bundled in there, but the
>> distro would be something else.
>> Do you mind sharing how you bundled jruby with buildr ? Do you have a
>> script for that ?
>>

> I don't have a script yet;  I just whipped it out manually.
>
> I'll add it to Buildr's rakefile now(ish).

ok(ish)

Thanks!

Posted by Alex Boisvert <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Antoine Toulme <an...@lunar-ocean.com>.
On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 15:43, Alex Boisvert <al...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 3:14 PM, Antoine Toulme <an...@lunar-ocean.com>wrote:
>
>> I have been working a bit with the standalone distrib of Buildr mounted on
>> JRuby and I liked it so far, I think it offers a very simple way to have
>> buildr around.
>>

> Good to hear.
>
> I had the need to install gems on that jruby installation and my quick fix
>> was to edit the buildr executable, remove the mention of _buildr, run:
>> buildr gem install mygem
>>

> That's the kind of feedback I was hoping for :)
>

>> Two questions:
>> 1. Can we have a way to install Buildr gems as part of Buildr in an easy
>> way?
>>

> Yes, we could leave the original jruby executable/scripts in the distro for
> that purpose.

Indeed.

Posted by Alex Boisvert <al...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 3:14 PM, Antoine Toulme <an...@lunar-ocean.com>wrote:

> I have been working a bit with the standalone distrib of Buildr mounted on
> JRuby and I liked it so far, I think it offers a very simple way to have
> buildr around.

Good to hear.