Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by David Blevins <da...@visi.com> on 2010/04/29 22:32:57 UTC

Creating blog entries

The basic process I've been using for the blog posts I create is:

   1. set the blog post to publish in say 2-3 days (or later if I
create a handful of posts all at once which is frequently the case).
   2. send a preview URL to the list for lazy consensus.

POST DATE

When creating a blog entry you can click the "Advanced Settings" link
at the bottom of the page and actually set the date/time that an entry
will be posted.  As mentioned, I typically use 2-3 days to get some
time for lazy consensus.  Frequently, I'm creating 2-3 blog posts all
at once and use that feature to spread them out over the course of a
week or two.  Once you've set the date/time, you just click the "Post
to Weblog" button.  Don't worry, it won't actually post anything till
the specified date/time.

PREVIEW

I also cooked up a script that is now installed on blogs.apache.org
that allows everyone to review the entries before they're actually
posted.  Sort of a "review than commit" process for blog entries so we
all feel welcome and encouraged to write up posts.

When you create an entry and before you post it, just "Save as Draft"
and then "Full Preview" which will give you a link like the following
which only you and other editors will be able to see:

   https://blogs.apache.org/roller-ui/authoring/preview/openejb/?previewEntry=teeeeest

To create a publicly readable preview link, just hack out the "roller-
ui/authoring/" part of the path like so:

   https://blogs.apache.org/preview/openejb/?previewEntry=teeeeest

Note this can only be done on blogs that authorize the "preview" user
and is not enabled by default.

For those that are lazy and know how to create bookmarklets in your
browser, this will do the editing for you:

   javascript:window.location=window.location.toString().replace(/
roller-ui.authoring./,"");

CODE SNIPPETS

I haven't found a good solution for this and have just been using
"<pre>" tags to surround the code.  You can use a service like
gist.github.com and include the gist via a javascript url.  The code
will look all nice and pretty, but unfortunately the code will not
technically be part of the blog content so won't show up in the rss
feed or search engine indexes.

-David

Re: Creating blog entries

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net>.
Does anybody else have any opinions on this process for the Geronimo
Blog?  I'd like to post a link to the wiki content for deploying the
Apache Aries samples on Geronimo 3.0.

It seems that this process is the more conservative than just posting
content (as I did with the initial welcome post) ... so I'll follow this
process for my next post on the Aries sample installation (barring any
strong objections).

I'll use the PREVIEW approach for my post on the Aries Samples on G
since I'm laying a little ground work (very little) regarding the
efforts between Apache Aries and Geronimo.   If I don't hear any
objections I'll publish this post in a day or two.

https://blogs.apache.org/preview/geronimo/?previewEntry=apache_aries_samples_running_on

BTW, I don't see the "preview" user authorized but it seems that I can
get to this link without login so I think it should be available for
everyone.  Let me know if you can't access the link.

One more thing - our current text area for the blog entries is just that
- one big, text area without any type of editor ... so you have to enter
html to have it formatted.  I updated the preferences where there is a
choice to use the "Rich Text Editor (Xihna)" - but this didn't seem to
make a difference for me on either FF Or Safari - perhaps it will work
with IE - let me know if you have better luck.

Joe