Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Dan Axtell <da...@snet.net> on 2005/11/02 18:22:13 UTC

Getting started with Apache::AuthCookie

Hi,

I'm new to mod_perl programming,  and I'm trying to write an
authentication/authorization system under mod_perl 2.0.  I've been suing
mod_auth, but I need a database-driven system and mod_auth_mysql won't
complie on my system (that's another story).

I'm trying to use Apache2::AuthCookie to build a cookie-based, data-driven
authentication system with custom login screen, etc.  I'm finding myself very
confused by the process.  I've read the man page, but I don't quite get how
the login form is connected to a submit handler, or where the submit handler
goes (in the module?  in a script?).

Does anyone know where I can can get a working example?  I've tried looking at
the code generated to test the module, but I can't even get the basic login
form to come up.  I've google around but the only thing I find are variations
on the man page.

Any suggestions?

Thank,
Dan

Re: Getting started with Apache::AuthCookie

Posted by Sean Davis <sd...@mail.nih.gov>.
On 11/2/05 12:22 PM, "Dan Axtell" <da...@snet.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm new to mod_perl programming,  and I'm trying to write an
> authentication/authorization system under mod_perl 2.0.  I've been suing
> mod_auth, but I need a database-driven system and mod_auth_mysql won't
> complie on my system (that's another story).
>
> I'm trying to use Apache2::AuthCookie to build a cookie-based, data-driven
> authentication system with custom login screen, etc.  I'm finding myself very
> confused by the process.  I've read the man page, but I don't quite get how
> the login form is connected to a submit handler, or where the submit handler
> goes (in the module?  in a script?).
>
> Does anyone know where I can can get a working example?  I've tried looking at
> the code generated to test the module, but I can't even get the basic login
> form to come up.  I've google around but the only thing I find are variations
> on the man page.
>
> Any suggestions?

I began to understand mod_perl programming from this chapter:

http://www.modperl.com/book/chapters/ch6.html

I think it might help.  Note that a few things are mod_perl 1 specific, so
you may have to make some changes in code, but if you look at the authcookie
code, you can probably see some similarities....

Sean