Posted to log4net-dev@logging.apache.org by Jeremiah Gowdy <je...@gowdy.me> on 2015/08/10 18:55:57 UTC

log4net 1.3.0

What’s the release schedule for log4net 1.3.0 look like?  The defects fixed in LOG4NET-455 and LOG4NET-437 are pretty severe for anyone trying to use async/await extensively.  We were so desperate for a fix, we backported the patches into 1.2.13 here:

https://github.com/freedomvoice/log4net (1.2.13-await branch)

And published these two unofficial packages here:

https://www.nuget.org/packages/log4net-await

https://www.nuget.org/packages/Common.Logging.Log4NetAwait/

Obviously, this is suboptimal.  .NET 4.5 and the await feature are three years old, so having a released version of log4net that correctly supports context with that feature at this point seems important.

Re: log4net 1.3.0

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2015-08-10, Jeremiah Gowdy wrote:

> What’s the release schedule for log4net 1.3.0 look like?

I'm afraid we've managed to move us in state where trunk isn't ready to
get released and we don't find the time to finish it.  And even if we
did, we wouldn't be creating the log4net people want today (see the 2.0
discussion).

Given the 2.0 discussion I'm leaning towards giving up 1.3.0 (move it to
a branch if anybody wants to pick it up again), make the 1.2.x branch
trunk for the time being and try to backport the fixes from 1.3.0 in
order to cut 1.2.14 from that branch.

Like I said in an earlier email, backporting may require some extra work
in order to avoid breaking BWC.  In particular the even more arcane
build system of 1.2.x will need to become able to target 4.5 as well.
I'm planning to put some quality time aside to make this happen.

Stefan