Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Christopher Schuck <cs...@stny.rr.com> on 2004/04/04 03:40:49 UTC

[math] Question regarding submitting patches

I have some minor patches (javadoc) to submit for this project, but I
have not been successful in creating the unified diff file from CVS. I
tried the following:

cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs@cvs.apache.org:/home/cvspublic login password:
anoncvs

export CVSROOT=:pserver:anoncvs:anoncvs@cvs.apache.org:/home/cvspublic

cvs diff -u MathUtils.java

but with no success. Other variations with the -d option, and attempts
to specify a path failed. I was in the directory where the
MathUtils.java file was located on my local system. I am new to using
CVS, and I can well guess I am missing something (perhaps a lot) here,
any help would be appreciated.

--
Christopher Schuck

"If you have no voice, SCREAM; if you have no legs, RUN; if you have no hope, INVENT" - Alegria

Re: [math] Question regarding submitting patches

Posted by Christopher Schuck <cs...@stny.rr.com>.
Phil Steitz wrote:

> Great start! One thing that would be useful, and a good general
> practice, would be to include a test case that shows the error that
> you are fixing. I notice that there are no test cases for the
> indicator functions :-( in MathUtilsTest. A patch adding these would
> be most welcome ;-)

Phil, I greatly appreciate the encouragement and help. I'll look at
adding in those tests this week, I have some familiarity with JUnit
tests, so I don't think it will take long.

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@steitz.com>.

Posted by Christopher Schuck <cs...@stny.rr.com>.
Hi Phil,

Thank you, I guessed I was missing a step somewhere, doing what you said
took care of the problem. I submitted the patches, if that isn't what
you're looking for, let me know, I'll fix it if necessary. I know this
isn't a whole lot to contribute, but it was a place to start.

I bookmarked both sites you mention in your reply, and also purchased
the O'Reilly text, Essential CVS.

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@steitz.com>.
Hi Chris,