Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by "Michael Xu (xudong)" <do...@wizitsoft.com> on 2009/12/18 08:26:02 UTC

Re: [ANN] New modules: OpenCms-OFBiz and OFBiz-Portlet

hi Shi,

Thanks for sharing the two modules. Just some quick questions for you:

1) Why not use MyPortal component in ofbiz?
I guess you need a standard portal to show information not only from ofbiz
but also from other applications. Or you had any problem with MyPortal?

2) Why you choose jboss portal? It seems there are a lot of open source
portals over there, like jetspeed, liferay, etc. Any special reasons?

3) Is it possible to integrate jetspeed into Ofbiz?
Now we have MyPortal there. But it doesn't follow JSR 168 and as such
external portlets cannot be integrated seamlessly. Once I tried to integrate
a commercial report tool with ofbiz and that report tool provides a lot of
fancy report portlets. But things get difficult when I tried to reuse those
portlets.

(To be honest, I still don't understand why committees don't use Apache
jetspeed but chose to reinvent the wheel. A nice and existing portal and no
legal issue.)

Michael Xu (xudong)
www.wizitsoft.com | Office: (8610) 6267 0615 ext 806 | Mobile: (86) 135 0135
9807 | Fax: (8610) 62670096

Posted by Shi Jinghai <sh...@langhua.cn>.
Hi Michael,

Why Portal? My reason is simple. My reason is integration.

Why JBoss? It's a personal favorite, it's also a common choice when we
see "Atos Origin deployed its Java-based Games Management System (GMS)
application, which features several open source components including the
Apache Tomcat Web server and JBoss application server, for Beijing
Olympic Games". I'd like to add CAS in this claim.

Why not JetSpeed? I don't have any experience on it, never evaluate it.
You may be interested in uPortal as well, it's a Jasig project.

Regards,

Shi Jinghai/Beijing Langhua Ltd.

在 2009-12-18五的 15:26 +0800,Michael Xu (xudong)写道: