Posted to users@servicemix.apache.org by Stefan Essl <es...@studi.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de> on 2011/08/11 10:20:44 UTC

Problems with jmxrmi

Hi folks,

I'm completely new to ServiceMix and currently working through the tutorials so my question might be on a quite newbie level:

In the second tutorial I try to use "mvn jbi:projectDeploy" and get a build error with this remark:

> [INFO] Unable to deploy project, Error accessing ServiceMix administration
>
> jmxrmi

Also, when I try to connect with jconsole using the string "service:jmx:rmi:///jndi/rmi://ip_to_server:1099/defaultJBIJMX", I get a connection error. Note that I'm trying to remotely connect with jconsole since ServiceMix is running on a remote server.

My own shot is that there is a problem with jmx not running correctly. How can I check this and get it up and running?

Thanks for your help,
Stefan

Re: Problems with jmxrmi

Posted by Stefan Essl <es...@studi.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de>.
Hi Christian,

sorry, I wrote my last answer too sloppy. I did follow the link and the advice listed in there. I changed my org.apache.karaf.management.cfg to:

--- snip ---
#
# Port of the registry for the exported RMI service
#
rmiRegistryPort = 1099

#
# Port of the actual RMI server
#
rmiServerPort = 44444

#
# The service URL for the JMXConnectorServer
#
serviceUrl = service:jmx:rmi://localhost:${rmiServerPort}/jndi/rmi://localhost:${rmiRegistryPort}/karaf-${karaf.name}
--- snip ---

Still the URL jmx:rmi://ip_to_server:44444/jndi/rmi://ip_to_server:1099/karaf-root doesn't work for me. In the meantime I also tried "telnet ip_to_server 44444" which gives me a successful connection, so I can quite safely say that this port isn't blocked by any firewall either.

Regards,
Stefan

Re: Problems with jmxrmi

Posted by Christian Müller <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hello Stefan!

I think I was not clear enough or/and you didn't follow the link from Nabble
to [1].

Your client use two connections/ports to communicate with the server for the
JMX stuff. It's not sufficient only to check the port 1099. You also have to
check the second port. And if you not define this port in your server side
JMX configuration (e.g. with the URL
jmx:rmi:///jndi/rmi://localhost:1099/karaf-root), this port is randomly
choosen and difficult to check. If you define the second port (e.g. with the
URL jmx:rmi://localhost:44444/jndi/rmi://localhost:1099/karaf-root) you
should also check if you can connect to the port 44444.

Could you share the content from your org.apache.karaf.management.cfg file
with us?

[1]
http://download.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/guides/management/agent.html#gdjou

Best,
Christian

Re: Problems with jmxrmi

Posted by Stefan Essl <es...@studi.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de>.
Hi Christian,

thanks for the hint but this url doesn't work for me either. I'm not aware of any firewall and since "telnet ip_to_server 1099" successfully gives me a connection, I'm pretty sure this shouldn't be a firewall problem.

Any further ideas?

Regards,
Stefan

Re: Problems with jmxrmi

Re: Problems with jmxrmi

Posted by Stefan Essl <es...@studi.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de>.
Hi,

I tried the user and password I configured in /etc/users.properties which already works for the webconsole. I also tried smx/smx and karaf/karaf which did not succeed. One further thing I noticed: if I try to connect to an invalid IP address, I get an error instantly, if I try with the correct IP address it takes quite some time until the error occurs. Does karaf log the connection requests somehow and possibly show failed connections with the according error?

Regards,
Stefan

Re: Problems with jmxrmi

Posted by Freeman Fang <fr...@gmail.com>.