Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Alex Menendez <am...@mail.monkeybrains.net> on 2003/01/16 09:22:15 UTC

[users@httpd] Right Server Process Params for High Traffic Site

Hello,

I help run a site of about 3.5 million page views a day.
We currently run apache 1.3.X with mod_perl and are switching to
a dual apache HTTP accelerator architecture.

We plan to put apache2.0 in the front serving static files and proxying
mod_perl requests to our current heavy apache servers listening on the
loopback.

We are using solaris and I have been testing the new architecture with the
worker mpm. It seems to work great in test. However, I am not really sure
how to configure a multi-hreaded/multi-process apache for our high traffic.
Our cluster consists of 8 servers. Our current apache1.3.X server are
configured with huge serverlimits which seems to hold up fine.

But what do I do with apache2.0? are there any rules of thumb?

I currently have the following default settings for my test server:
StartServers         2
MaxClients         150
MinSpareThreads     25
MaxSpareThreads     75
ThreadsPerChild     25
MaxRequestsPerChild  10000

How do I optimize these for my production env of 3.5 million page views
across 8 machines?

any advise here would be greatly appreciated.

regards,
 -amen