Posted to dev@opennlp.apache.org by Jason Baldridge <ja...@gmail.com> on 2011/05/17 20:33:32 UTC

switch to ISO 639-2 codes for languages?

I think we should change to the three character convention for language
specific materials, e.g. "eng" rather than "en" for English.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ISO_639-2_codes

Do others agree?

--
Jason Baldridge
Assistant Professor, Department of Linguistics

Re: switch to ISO 639-2 codes for languages?

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.
Is there support for -3 in java? Currently all we do is a check that the
language is
a valid 2 letter code. The idea was when we added it that we will be able
to have language dependent feature generation one day, but up to today we
only do something special in the sentence detector for thai.

Jörn

Posted by Chris Collins <ch...@yahoo.com>.
Nutch Language classifier uses alpha2.  Most systems I have used in the past (albeit not NLP oriented) typically use alpha2. Also the names are explicitly called out when users of OpenNLP load a model, this would be one more place existing users would have to change (consider that an API incompatibility).

Whats the net gain your interested in by moving to alpha3?

Posted by Jason Baldridge <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.
On 5/18/11 12:11 AM, James Kosin wrote:
> +1
>
> But I'd like to see more mapping of languages to default encoding types
> as well for each language.  Or automatic support in java for the
> language and encoding via the OS first and override options for those
> performing multiple languages than the native.

Making the encoding dependent on the language is not really well-defined,
with which encoding do I end up when I specify French as language?

The encoding could be the default encoding of the platform and
additionally be defined
by the user. We decided that the user must always specify the encoding,
because
then he needs to think about in which encoding the training/test data is.

Since training is often done for foreign languages I believe it prevents
many from just
running with the incorrect default encoding.

Anyway I also use OS X where MacRoman is the default encoding which is
just incompatible
with all the training data I have.

Jörn

Re: switch to ISO 639-2 codes for languages?

Posted by James Kosin <ja...@gmail.com>.
+1

But I'd like to see more mapping of languages to default encoding types
as well for each language.  Or automatic support in java for the
language and encoding via the OS first and override options for those
performing multiple languages than the native.

James

Posted by Jason Baldridge <ja...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Oleg Tikhonov <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.
I created a jira for this issue:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OPENNLP-176

Jörn

Posted by Jason Baldridge <ja...@gmail.com>.
Fewer clashes and clearer naming. More up-to-date with current standards.

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.