Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Jonathan M Metts <me...@icedtrip.net> on 2007/03/29 18:29:44 UTC

Amavis / SA / ClamAV

How many people use an Amavis setup to send messages through SA and
possibly ClamAV?  Over the past month I have been trying to tweak my
setup that has been running Postfix, SA, Cyrus-IMAP, and Sieve for
awhile (running Debian), but wanted to add ClamAV to the mix (not sure
why I didn't from the start, but oh well).

Needless to say, most methods I am finding are using Amavis.  My SA
setup is working great, so I am not sure if I want to switch it up and
have Amavis control everything as far as SA and ClamAV is concerned.
This is primarily because I am not familiar with it, but also because my
first attempt in using it failed earlier today.  I have a relayhost
setup that uses TLS, and it was causing problems with Amavis trying to
route mail back to Postfix without TLS (or that is what I think the
problem was).

Just curious as to how many people use Amavis vs simply using SA and/or
ClamAV.

Jonathan Metts

Re: Amavis / SA / ClamAV

Posted by Noel Jones <no...@gmail.com>.
On 3/29/07, Jonathan M Metts <me...@icedtrip.net> wrote:
> How many people use an Amavis setup to send messages through SA and
> possibly ClamAV?  Over the past month I have been trying to tweak my
> setup that has been running Postfix, SA, Cyrus-IMAP, and Sieve for
> awhile (running Debian), but wanted to add ClamAV to the mix (not sure
> why I didn't from the start, but oh well).
>
> Needless to say, most methods I am finding are using Amavis.  My SA
> setup is working great, so I am not sure if I want to switch it up and
> have Amavis control everything as far as SA and ClamAV is concerned.
> This is primarily because I am not familiar with it, but also because my
> first attempt in using it failed earlier today.  I have a relayhost
> setup that uses TLS, and it was causing problems with Amavis trying to
> route mail back to Postfix without TLS (or that is what I think the
> problem was).
>
> Just curious as to how many people use Amavis vs simply using SA and/or
> ClamAV.
>
> Jonathan Metts

amavisd-new is very popular with postfix users - widely used and well
supported by the author on the amavis-users mail list.  But note well:
there are numerous other products with similar names.  AFAIK
amavisd-new is the only amavis* that is currently maintained and I
would suggest not using any other variant.

See the amavisd-new web site for a detailed How-to on integrating with
postfix.  If you have trouble, ask on the amavis-users list - they're
a helpful bunch.

It's also possible to use amavisd-new only for clamav and keep your
existing SA setup if it's working well for you.

There are other choices for integrating clamav into your system,
notably clamsmtp.

amavisd-new  http://www.ijs.si/software/amavisd/
clamsmtp   http://memberwebs.com/nielsen/software/clamsmtp/

--