Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Pavel Gutin <pa...@gmail.com> on 2010/01/29 18:18:09 UTC

Can get HBase to work on RedHat, even though it works on Ubuntu

I apologize if I am breaking some kind of list etiquette, but I've
been struggling for the last week, and I have no idea where to ask for
help.

I got HBase to work on my virtual Ubuntu machine, but when i tried
moving it to RedHat running on real hardware, it fails. I start up
hadoop, then zookeeper and when i start HBase, i get the following
error:

>$ bin/start-hbase.sh
localhost: starting zookeeper, logging to
/usr/local/hadoop/hbase/bin/../logs/hbase-hadoop-zookeeper-fchadoop04.out
localhost: java.net.BindException: Address already in use
localhost:      at sun.nio.ch.Net.bind(Native Method)
localhost:      at sun.nio.ch.ServerSocketChannelImpl.bind(Unknown Source)
localhost:      at sun.nio.ch.ServerSocketAdaptor.bind(Unknown Source)
localhost:      at sun.nio.ch.ServerSocketAdaptor.bind(Unknown Source)
localhost:      at
org.apache.zookeeper.server.NIOServerCnxn$Factory.<init>(NIOServerCnxn.java:140)
localhost:      at
org.apache.zookeeper.server.ZooKeeperServerMain.runFromConfig(ZooKeeperServerMain.java:106)
localhost:      at
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.zookeeper.HQuorumPeer.runZKServer(HQuorumPeer.java:90)
localhost:      at
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.zookeeper.HQuorumPeer.main(HQuorumPeer.java:75)
starting master, logging to
/usr/local/hadoop/hbase/bin/../logs/hbase-hadoop-master-fchadoop04.out
localhost: starting regionserver, logging to
/usr/local/hadoop/hbase/bin/../logs/hbase-hadoop-regionserver-fchadoop04.out

When I go into the shell after that, doing anything throws a
"MasterNotRunningException"

I would appreciate any help.

 - Pavel

Re: Can get HBase to work on RedHat, even though it works on Ubuntu

Posted by Pavel Gutin <pa...@gmail.com>.
This discussion continued in IRC, and <jdcryans> was able to help me
figure out my problem.
When I looked in the log files for HBase, i realized that it was not
able to connect to DFS.

Even though I was able to start DFS, i didn't bother checking the
logs, and it turns out that i was getting an "Incompatible
namespaceIDs" exception. I found the fix for it here
http://www.michael-noll.com/wiki/Running_Hadoop_On_Ubuntu_Linux_%28Multi-Node_Cluster%29#java.io.IOException:_Incompatible_namespaceIDs

Then i connected to http://localhost:50070 to make sure that i had a
datanode running, and finally managed to get into HBase.

Thank you all for your help.

 - Pavel

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Pavel Gutin <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Pavel Gutin <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Pavel Gutin <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.
Seems that one of the ports you are trying to use for zookeeper is
already in use (or perhaps you started/stopped and Zk process didn't
shutdown correctly?)

"localhost: java.net.BindException: Address already in use"

Try using netstat to determine what application is conflicting, or just
change the port number to something else that's not in use.

Patrick