Posted to dev@poi.apache.org by Cedric Walter <ce...@innoveo.com> on 2013/02/13 17:53:13 UTC

Innoveo Solutions would like to contribute

Innoveo is using Apache POI since 2007, and this library is strategic for us in order to support the Excel support in our product Skyetm (http://www.innoveo.com/SoftwareSolution.aspx), we want now to contribute bug fixes and feature enhancements we have already made and will have to make in the future back to Apache POI.

We are ready to contribute the following:
·         - Support for more than 256 columns,
·         - Performances improvements,
·         - ....

We need now that Apache POI support "wildcards values" for vlookup, hlookup, lookup, match, countif and sumif in the NEXT 2 to 4 WEEKS.

Innoveo is committed to develop this functionality but we would still appreciate some guidance, so the chance the patch get accepted being higher. A lot of questions are popping up:
- Can it be done?
- Estimates if it would be done by an internal developer, best efforts?
- Difficulty, is the internal API able to tackle this requirement without requiring us to changes most of code?
- Would some internal developers being interested by a bounty to develop this functionality?

Apache POI Roadmap as far as we did understand is driven by the bugtracker, is there any plan to support "wildcards values" or has it be already done?

INSIGHT INNOVEO /

A growing software company focused on the insurance industry, based in Zurich, Switzerland and privately held by its founding members. We base ourselves on long experience in the insurance industry, technology and architecture (SOA).
Our international, very experienced team, is acting throughout Europe and beyond. We deliver an industry-specific IT platform and related services; we are focused on the Western European insurance market. Innoveo is dedicated to enabling the insurance business through technology. Starting in 2000, we have rapidly built an industry-reference platform that handles € billions in offer volume today and serves as the basis for a wide variety of business applications.
see http://www.innoveo.com/AboutUs.aspx"

Re: Innoveo Solutions would like to contribute

Posted by Yegor Kozlov <ye...@dinom.ru>.
You are very much welcome to contribute.

> We are ready to contribute the following:
> ·         - Support for more than 256 columns,

Is it for the binary (.xls) format ?

For which format. XSSF supports 16K

> ·         - Performances improvements,

This kind of improvements is always welcome.

> ·         - ....

Support for wildcards in formula parsing / evalution would be a nice
contribution.
POI's formula module is well designed and it should be possible to add
support for wildcards without changing much code.
Support for simple wildcards e.g. ”*apples*” is straightforward and
should take a few days. You will need to re-visit formula
implementations and make sure they understand the wildcard syntax.

Support for complex wildcards like ”*”&A1&”*” is harder. It will
require changes in the formula parser to support this syntax and then
changes in the evaluation code. We may need to re-factor some core
classes to suport it.

A full-time developer familiar with the POI architecture should be
able to complete this task in 7-10 days . The point is that POI is a
volunteer project and people contribute in their free time, mostly off
hours, by little bits.

Regards,
Yegor