Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by ph...@free.fr on 2016/11/02 15:01:46 UTC

Using a context.xml file in /conf/Catalina/local/context.xml

Hello,

I've a developed a simple servlet in Eclipse which is supposed to display a welcome message stored in <apache home>/conf/Catalina/localhost/context.xml.

When I run the web application from Eclipse in a local Tomcat instance, I get the following message:

"javax.naming.NameNotFoundException: The name welcomeMessage is not bound to this Context"

The only way to prevent the above message from being displayed is to create a context.xml file in
the project's META-INF directory. However, for my purposes, I need to store the context.xml file outside of the project's WAR.

Any help with this issue would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Philippe

---------------------

@WebServlet("/MyServlet")
public class MyServlet extends HttpServlet {

    public MyServlet() {
        super();
    }

	protected void doGet(HttpServletRequest request, HttpServletResponse response) throws ServletException, IOException {

		try {
			Context initCtx = new InitialContext();
			String welcMessage = (String) initCtx.lookup("java:comp/env/welcomeMessage");
			response.getWriter().append(welcMessage);
		} catch (NamingException e) {
			e.printStackTrace();
		}

Here are the contents of the <catalina home>/conf/Catalina/localhost/context.xml file:

<Context>

	 <Environment name="welcomeMessage" type="java.lang.String" value="Welcome to DEV - localhost!" />

</Context>