Posted to docs-dev@perl.apache.org by Thomas Klausner <do...@zsi.at> on 2002/06/04 21:00:55 UTC

two small patches

Hi!

Two more very small patches:
- src/contribute/maillist.pod
changed "is the mailing lists" to "are the mailing lists".
Although I'm not sure about this, but in german there is a correlation
between the number of the subject and of the verb, and I think it's the same
in english...

- src/products/apache-modlist.html
remove link to perl.apache.org and the More Info section.

One question:
I'm not sure if we discussed this allready, but what's the name of the
documentation? Should it be refered to as "the guide" or "the website" or
"perl.apache.org" or  "the documentation", or something else?

IMO "the guide: or "perl.apache.org" would be best.

"the guide", because it's used a lot in the mod_perl community
"perl.apache.org" because it's very clear what we are talking about.

And what should happen to old refernces to "the guide"? Should they link to
perl.apache.org, or to /docs ? Or deleted completly?

--
 D_OMM      +---->  http://domm.zsi.at <-----+
 O_xyderkes |       neu:  Arbeitsplatz       |

Re: two small patches

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Thomas Klausner wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Two more very small patches:
> - src/contribute/maillist.pod
> changed "is the mailing lists" to "are the mailing lists".
> Although I'm not sure about this, but in german there is a correlation
> between the number of the subject and of the verb, and I think it's the same
> in english...

this one committed, thanks.

> - src/products/apache-modlist.html
> remove link to perl.apache.org and the More Info section.

will be deleted, perl Doug's response as soon as we decide if we want to
keep parts of it.

Re: two small patches

Posted by Per Einar Ellefsen <pe...@skynet.be>.
At 07:34 05.06.2002, Stas Bekman wrote:
>Per Einar Ellefsen wrote:

>>>So may be it's a time to split /docs/ into 3 docsets?
>>
>>I like the way you can get a good overview over all the documentation
>>from the docs/ page. It would make it slightly harder to navigate the
>>other way.
>
>True, but linking is a problem. could add #tags to groups I guess, I'm not
>sure how to do that though yet: the group names are too long. Still thinking.

Well, the #tags in normal POD files are pretty long too..

--
Per Einar Ellefsen
per.einar@skynet.be

Re: two small patches

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.

Re: two small patches

Posted by Per Einar Ellefsen <pe...@skynet.be>.

Re: two small patches

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.

Re: two small patches

Posted by Per Einar Ellefsen <pe...@skynet.be>.
At 21:39 04.06.2002, Stas Bekman wrote:
>Per Einar Ellefsen wrote:
>>At 21:00 04.06.2002, Thomas Klausner wrote:
>>>- src/products/apache-modlist.html
>>>remove link to perl.apache.org and the More Info section.
>>
>>Stas, I guess you're the maintainer of these?
>
>No, Doug is an official maintainer of this page. You should ask him about
>it. This page is not only for our site, this is supposed be a part of CPAN
>I believe.

Well, the problem is that it's not that much maintained right now. This
isn't to accuse Doug or anything, its just that maybe we should take over
maintainership? Given that it's going out of the dist and all. I know it's
part of CPAN; maybe we should be able to get it there too? Just a suggestion.

Still, you'll have to commit the contribute one :)

Re: two small patches

Posted by Ask Bjoern Hansen <as...@develooper.com>.
On Wed, 5 Jun 2002, Stas Bekman wrote:

> I don't understand what's wrong with linking to
> http://www.cpan.org/modules/00modlist.long.html#ID15_WorldWideW (and
> hinting to scroll down to the Apache:: namespace)

Andreas, any chance you can add a <a name="Apache"> tag where the
Apache:: modules start in the modules list?

 - ask

--
ask bjoern hansen, http://ask.netcetera.dk/   !try; do();

Re: two small patches

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.

Re: two small patches

Posted by Per Einar Ellefsen <pe...@skynet.be>.

Re: two small patches

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.

Re: two small patches

Posted by Doug MacEachern <do...@covalent.net>.

Re: two small patches

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Per Einar Ellefsen wrote:
> At 21:00 04.06.2002, Thomas Klausner wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> Two more very small patches:
>> - src/contribute/maillist.pod
>> changed "is the mailing lists" to "are the mailing lists".
>> Although I'm not sure about this, but in german there is a correlation
>> between the number of the subject and of the verb, and I think it's
>> the same
>> in english...
>

> that's probably right.
>
>> - src/products/apache-modlist.html
>> remove link to perl.apache.org and the More Info section.
>

> Stas, I guess you're the maintainer of these?

No, Doug is an official maintainer of this page. You should ask him
about it. This page is not only for our site, this is supposed be a part
of CPAN I believe.

>> One question:
>> I'm not sure if we discussed this allready, but what's the name of the
>> documentation? Should it be refered to as "the guide" or "the website" or
>> "perl.apache.org" or  "the documentation", or something else?
>>
>> IMO "the guide: or "perl.apache.org" would be best.
>>
>> "the guide", because it's used a lot in the mod_perl community
>> "perl.apache.org" because it's very clear what we are talking about.

Please give us some more context. So it'll be easier to suggest.

> Personally, I would tend to refer to the User's guide as "the User's
> guide" or just the guide in a moment of weakness, to the whole
> documentation as "the documentation", and occasionally to the entire
> *website* as "the website", "the site", or "perl.apache.org" (very rarely).

To me the most obvious thing is:

If you are talking about docs in general say "mod_perl documentation"
If you are talking about 1.0 docs in general say "mod_perl 1.0
documentation"
If you are talking about 2.0 docs in general say "mod_perl 2.0
documentation"

Re: two small patches

Posted by Per Einar Ellefsen <pe...@skynet.be>.
At 21:00 04.06.2002, Thomas Klausner wrote:
>Hi!
>
>Two more very small patches:
>- src/contribute/maillist.pod
>changed "is the mailing lists" to "are the mailing lists".
>Although I'm not sure about this, but in german there is a correlation
>between the number of the subject and of the verb, and I think it's the same
>in english...

that's probably right.