Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by Tim Platten <ti...@deutsche-boerse.com> on 2009/12/07 15:48:47 UTC

Remote IP authentication

Hi,

We have a requirement for the Qpid broker to simply authenticate a client
connection using username, password and remote IP address(es). Any
suggestions about how we might go about this? Kerberos is not an option.

TIA,

Tim

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Re: Remote IP authentication

Posted by Rajith Attapattu <ra...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 10:37 AM, Tim Platten
<ti...@deutsche-boerse.com> wrote:

> We need to authenticate that a client is connecting from a known list of
> acceptable IP addresses (for that particular client). We would then maintain
> a list of valid IP addresses per client (username).

IMO the preferred solution is to use firewall rules.
But sometimes it may not be possible.
The java broker implements a similar feature if it really needs to be
done at the broker level.
http://qpid.apache.org/ip-whitelisting.html

Looking at the above it seems that we could possibly handle the above
with an extension in the ACL mechanism itself.
The ACL already have code for allow/deny per user/group. So extending
that should be fairly simple.

Regards,

Rajith

> Carl Trieloff wrote:
>>
>> Tim Platten wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> We have a requirement for the Qpid broker to simply authenticate a client
>>> connection using username, password and remote IP address(es). Any
>>> suggestions about how we might go about this? Kerberos is not an option.
>>>

>> Can you explain the "remote IP address(s)" requirement?
>>
>> Carl.

>> Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

> Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Rajith Attapattu
Red Hat
http://rajith.2rlabs.com/

Posted by Tim Platten <ti...@deutsche-boerse.com>.

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Tim Platten <ti...@deutsche-boerse.com>.
Thanks all for responding.

I should have mentioned that this is for the C++ broker.

Tim

Posted by Marnie McCormack <ma...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Tim,