Posted to dev@tomee.apache.org by Jonathan Gallimore <jo...@gmail.com> on 2009/10/25 12:03:27 UTC

[RESULTS] Release OpenEJB Eclipse Plugin 1.0.0.alpha

Closing vote with 6 +1s and no other votes:

Voters:
Daniel S. Haischt
David Blevins
Jacek Laskowski
Jonathan Gallimore
Karan Malhi
Mohammad Nour El-Din

Thanks everyone for testing this and voting. I'll get the binaries
published.

Jon

Re: [RESULTS] Release OpenEJB Eclipse Plugin 1.0.0.alpha

Posted by Jonathan Gallimore <jo...@gmail.com>.
Looks like it got corrupted somewhere. I've re-uploaded it.

Jon

Posted by Jonathan Gallimore <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.

Re: Eclipse Plugin Alpha 1

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
On Nov 3, 2009, at 3:39 PM, Jonathan Gallimore wrote:

> The actual recording itself took about 10 attempts, because I messed
> various
> things up (and once my wife interupted asking where the cup of tea I
> promised her was...) - I don't know if there's a feature to edit
> things like
> that, I just found it easier to start again.

ROFL!!  I had the same experience.  Except it was coffee of course.

-David

Re: Eclipse Plugin Alpha 1

Posted by Jonathan Gallimore <jo...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 8:42 AM, Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>wrote:

> That's indeed a very useful screencast and I'm going to combine it
> with the work around OSGi if you don't mind for the upcoming Eclipse
> DemoCamp sessions in Poland (Warszawa and Wroclaw). I'm going to show
> what it is to work with EJBs with the OpenEJB Eclipse plugin (the
> Eclipse part plus OpenEJB/EJB3) and then show how to move on running
> exactly the same EJB as a bundle and look it up from another one (with
> Eclipse Equinox). It's gonna be a killer session! :) Thanks Jonathan.

I'm so thrilled that you guys like the plugin and the video, and its great
that you're going to use it in your sessions. I really hope your sessions go
well, please do tell us how it goes!

> Two things I'd like to get corrected at some point:
>
> 1. The version of OpenEJB provided by the plugin is 3.0.0. That's what
> it shows up in the project libraries. I'm pretty sure people will ask
> about it and why it's not 3.1.2 or 3.1.1 at the very least.

You're right. I was thinking changing it to just "OpenEJB 3" would probably
be best - it uses whatever client jars are in your server installation, so
it should work with any 3.x.x version.

> 2. The ejb-jar.xml file was discussed and I'd change the wording to
> say it's not necessary at all and explain why it is in the project. It
> boosts the search for EJBs in the classpath and otherwise would
> require changes to the way OpenEJB searches it (with include/exclude
> env properties).

I agree.

> Could you also describe the recording process? What tools did you use?
> I'm going to record some presentations myself and don't know what
> tooling I'll have to use for it. I've been told that audacity is to
> correct a sound, but what about the really useful white circle you
> used in your screencast to draw attention? Did you just record it all
> at once without any adjustments to the sound and video. It ended up
> really awesome and you kept your voice on a proper level which made
> watching the screencast very pleasant. I'd love doing alike with my
> first screencast. Share as much tips and tricks as possible.

As David has already mentioned, the software I used is called ScreenFlow (
http://www.telestream.net/screen-flow/overview.htm), and as long as we say
that we used ScreenFlow to create our screencasts, they have agreed that we
can use it for free. I hadn't used it before, but I was really impressed
with it. The site hosting the video is Vimeo, which again, I've not come
across before, but seems to do an excellent job of taking the .mov file
ScreenFlow produces, and seems to embed really well in the blog. Again, we
have an OpenEJB account, and either myself or David can let you have the
details.

In terms of the process itself, the actual screencast was recorded as one
complete video, I didn't do little sections and stitch them together or
anything like that. The only editing I did after recording was to add the
various zooms and mouse cursor highlights, which are nifty features of
ScreenFlow.

The actual recording itself took about 10 attempts, because I messed various
things up (and once my wife interupted asking where the cup of tea I
promised her was...) - I don't know if there's a feature to edit things like
that, I just found it easier to start again.

I think I got lucky with the sound, its not something I paid to much
attention to when I was recording it. I was an Intel iMac, just using the
built in microphone above the screen. I think there's something in
ScreenFlow to get the volume correct doing some kind of sound check before
recording the video - I actually recorded it a while back, so I can't
remember. The only problem I really had was trying not saying 'er' and 'um',
which I now realise is something I do a lot :) - by the time I was on the
10th go I had got a bit better.

I later discovered you can also video yourself while recording the
screencast, so next time I make one, I'll add that as well.

Jon

Re: Eclipse Plugin Alpha 1

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
FYI, Jon, I love the video!

You even show some debugging in there which is really cool!

Well done all around.

-David

Eclipse Plugin Alpha 1

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.

Posted by Gurkan Erdogdu <cg...@gmail.com>.
Very nice and sleek work!

--Gurkan

2009/11/3 Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>

> On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 10:32 PM, Jonathan Gallimore
> <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Thanks Jacek. I've put a blog entry up:
> >
> https://blogs.apache.org/openejb/entry/openejb_eclipse_plugin_alpha_release
>
> That's indeed a very useful screencast and I'm going to combine it
> with the work around OSGi if you don't mind for the upcoming Eclipse
> DemoCamp sessions in Poland (Warszawa and Wroclaw). I'm going to show
> what it is to work with EJBs with the OpenEJB Eclipse plugin (the
> Eclipse part plus OpenEJB/EJB3) and then show how to move on running
> exactly the same EJB as a bundle and look it up from another one (with
> Eclipse Equinox). It's gonna be a killer session! :) Thanks Jonathan.
>
> Two things I'd like to get corrected at some point:
>
> 1. The version of OpenEJB provided by the plugin is 3.0.0. That's what
> it shows up in the project libraries. I'm pretty sure people will ask
> about it and why it's not 3.1.2 or 3.1.1 at the very least.
> 2. The ejb-jar.xml file was discussed and I'd change the wording to
> say it's not necessary at all and explain why it is in the project. It
> boosts the search for EJBs in the classpath and otherwise would
> require changes to the way OpenEJB searches it (with include/exclude
> env properties).
>
> Could you also describe the recording process? What tools did you use?
> I'm going to record some presentations myself and don't know what
> tooling I'll have to use for it. I've been told that audacity is to
> correct a sound, but what about the really useful white circle you
> used in your screencast to draw attention? Did you just record it all
> at once without any adjustments to the sound and video. It ended up
> really awesome and you kept your voice on a proper level which made
> watching the screencast very pleasant. I'd love doing alike with my
> first screencast. Share as much tips and tricks as possible.
>
> Jacek
>
> --
> Jacek Laskowski
> Notatnik Projektanta Java EE - http://www.JacekLaskowski.pl

--
Gurkan Erdogdu
http://gurkanerdogdu.blogspot.com

Re: [RESULTS] Release OpenEJB Eclipse Plugin 1.0.0.alpha

Posted by Gurkan Erdogdu <cg...@gmail.com>.
Hey Jacek

We integrated OpenEJB with OWB at some degree. Maybe you want to include
some demos in your presenetations :)

For samples, you could get them from

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/openwebbeans/trunk/samples/ -->
ejb-sample, ejb-telephone

Thanks;

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.

Posted by Jonathan Gallimore <jo...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Jacek. I've put a blog entry up:
https://blogs.apache.org/openejb/entry/openejb_eclipse_plugin_alpha_release

Cheers

Jon

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.

Posted by Jonathan Gallimore <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hi All,

I have published the artifacts for the release. The plugin can be downloaded
from:
http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/openejb/eclipse-plugin/openejb-eclipse-plugin-1.0.0.alpha-deployable.zipand
the update site is:
http://www.apache.org/dist/openejb/eclipse-plugin/update-site/

I have made a change to site.xml to add a mirror url (added 'mirrorsURL="
http://openejb.apache.org/eclipse/openejb-eclipse-update--xml.cgi"' to the
<site> node) to try and get Eclipse to use the mirrors rather than
www.apache.org. I'm not sure if this requires a re-vote - if people feel it
does, I'm happy to reverse this and recreate the binaries again.

The CGI file referenced in the mirrorsURL above is a script that lists the
Apache mirrors, and seems to be the Apache standard way of doing this (the
Geronimo plugin does it in the same way) - I found some documentation here:
http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasing-eclipse-update-site.html

The CGI file is here:
http://openejb.apache.org/eclipse/openejb-eclipse-update--xml.cgi and it has
a HTML template here:
http://openejb.apache.org/eclipse/openejb-eclipse-update--xml.html.

Hopefully this ok - please let me know if there's any problem. If it is ok,
I'll write up a short announcement for the blog and website.

Cheers,

Jon

Re: [RESULTS] Release OpenEJB Eclipse Plugin 1.0.0.alpha

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.
Great work Jonathan :)

--
Thanks