Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Dongjoon Hyun <do...@gmail.com> on 2020/06/29 16:06:54 UTC

Apache Spark 3.1 Feature Expectation (Dec. 2020)

Hi, All.

After a short celebration of Apache Spark 3.0, I'd like to ask you the
community opinion on Apache Spark 3.1 feature expectations.

First of all, Apache Spark 3.1 is scheduled for December 2020.
- https://spark.apache.org/versioning-policy.html

I'm expecting the following items:

1. Support Scala 2.13
2. Use Apache Hadoop 3.2 by default for better cloud support
3. Declaring Kubernetes Scheduler GA
    In my perspective, the last main missing piece was Dynamic allocation
and
    - Dynamic allocation with shuffle tracking is already shipped at 3.0.
    - Dynamic allocation with worker decommission/data migration is
targeting 3.1. (Thanks, Holden)
4. DSv2 Stabilization

I'm aware of some more features which are on the way currently, but I love
to hear the opinions from the main developers and more over the main users
who need those features.

Thank you in advance. Welcome for any comments.

Bests,
Dongjoon.

Re: Apache Spark 3.1 Feature Expectation (Dec. 2020)

Posted by Gabor Somogyi <ga...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dongjoon,

I would add JDBC Kerberos support w/ keytab:

BR,

Posted by JackyLee <qc...@163.com>.
Thank you for putting forward this.
Can we put the support of view and partition catalog in version 3.1?
AFAIT, these are great features in DSv2 and Catalog. With these, we can work
well with warehouse, such as delta or hive.

https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/28147
https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/28617

Thanks.

Re: Apache Spark 3.1 Feature Expectation (Dec. 2020)

Posted by wuyi <yi...@databricks.com>.
This could be a sub-task of
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-25299>  (Use remote storage for
persisting shuffle data)?

It's good if we could put the whole SPARK-25299 in Spark 3.1.

Holden Karau wrote

Posted by Jungtaek Lim <ka...@gmail.com>.
Does this count only "new features" (probably major), or also count
"improvements"? I'm aware of a couple of improvements which should be
ideally included in the next release, but if this counts only major new
features then don't feel they should be listed.

Posted by Dongjoon Hyun <do...@gmail.com>.
Thank you for sharing your opinions, Jacky, Maxim, Holden, Jungtaek, Yi,
Tom, Gabor, Felix.

I also want to include both `New Features` and `Improvements` together
according to the above discussion.

When I checked the item status as of today, it looked like the following.
In short, I removed K8s GA and DSv2 Stabilization explicitly from ON-TRACK
list according to the given concerns. For those items, we can try to build
a consensus for Apache Spark 3.2 (June 2021) or later.

ON-TRACK
1. Support Scala 2.13 (SPARK-25075)
2. Use Apache Hadoop 3.2 by default for better cloud support (SPARK-32058)
3. Stage Level Scheduling (SPARK-27495)
4. Support filter pushdown more (CSV is already shipped by SPARK-30323 in
3.0)
    - Support filters pushdown to JSON (SPARK-30648 in 3.1)
    - Support filters pushdown to Avro (SPARK-XXX in 3.1)
    - Support nested attributes of filters pushed down to JSON
5. Support JDBC Kerberos w/ keytab (SPARK-12312)

NICE TO HAVE OR DEFERRED TO APACHE SPARK 3.2
1. Declaring Kubernetes Scheduler GA
    - Should we also consider the shuffle service refactoring to support
pluggable storage engines as targeting the 3.1 release? (Holden)
    - I think pluggable storage in shuffle is essential for k8s GA (Felix)
    - Use remote storage for persisting shuffle data (SPARK-25299)
2. DSv2 Stabilization? (The followings and more)
    - SPARK-31357 Catalog API for view metadata
    - SPARK-31694 Add SupportsPartitions Catalog APIs on DataSourceV2

As we know, we work willingly and voluntarily. If something lands on the
`master` branch before the feature freeze (November), it will be a part of
Apache Spark 3.1, of course.

Thanks,
Dongjoon.

Posted by Felix Cheung <fe...@hotmail.com>.
I think pluggable storage in shuffle is essential for k8s GA

Books (Learning Spark, High Performance Spark, etc.): https://amzn.to/2MaRAG9 <https://amzn.to/2MaRAG9>

Posted by Holden Karau <ho...@pigscanfly.ca>.

Posted by Maxim Gekk <ma...@databricks.com>.
Hi Dongjoon,