Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org> on 2006/07/14 03:17:16 UTC

Versions of Calculator, CustomerInfo and HelloWorld that use the new assembly model

I have checked in versions of the Calculator, CustomerInfo and
HelloWorld samples that use the new composite assembly model. You will
find the new samples in our trunk under
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/tuscany/java/samples/sca/recursive.
The old M1 samples are still there, to allow people to compare and see
the differences between the old and the new composite assembly model.

The idea is to start demonstrating the new assembly model and make sure
we all understand it the same way.

I'm hoping that these samples will raise a few programming model related
questions. Here's a few questions that I came across during the port
exercise:
- where do we put the file describing a composite? I picked
src/main/resources... same location as sca.module before, any thoughts?
- I named the composite file <composite-name>.composite, what do you
think about that?
- in M1, TuscanyRuntime was taking a moduleComponent URI, does this
still apply with the new model?
- in M1, Tuscany specific extensions to SCDL were in the core SCDL
namespace, I think we should push these extensions to a Tuscany specific
namespace, any thoughts on that?
any other questions?

The new samples do not yet build or run, but I have a few small
additions and changes to the trunk code that will allow you to run them
(basically a few loaders that can load the new SCDL elements and
additions to the system.module configuration file). I think it will help
the project to be able to build and run these new samples. I'll check
these small changes in later today after I make sure that they're not
introducing any regression. You will then be able to run the new samples
as well as the old M1 samples.

--
Jean-Sebastien

Re: Versions of Calculator, CustomerInfo and HelloWorld that use the new assembly model

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org>.
Jean-Sebastien Delfino wrote:
> I have checked in versions of the Calculator, CustomerInfo and
> HelloWorld samples that use the new composite assembly model. You will
> find the new samples in our trunk under
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/tuscany/java/samples/sca/recursive.
> The old M1 samples are still there, to allow people to compare and see
> the differences between the old and the new composite assembly model.
>
> The idea is to start demonstrating the new assembly model and make
> sure we all understand it the same way.
>
> I'm hoping that these samples will raise a few programming model
> related questions. Here's a few questions that I came across during
> the port exercise:
> - where do we put the file describing a composite? I picked
> src/main/resources... same location as sca.module before, any thoughts?
> - I named the composite file <composite-name>.composite, what do you
> think about that?
> - in M1, TuscanyRuntime was taking a moduleComponent URI, does this
> still apply with the new model?
> - in M1, Tuscany specific extensions to SCDL were in the core SCDL
> namespace, I think we should push these extensions to a Tuscany
> specific namespace, any thoughts on that?
> any other questions?
>
> The new samples do not yet build or run, but I have a few small
> additions and changes to the trunk code that will allow you to run
> them (basically a few loaders that can load the new SCDL elements and
> additions to the system.module configuration file). I think it will
> help the project to be able to build and run these new samples. I'll
> check these small changes in later today after I make sure that
> they're not introducing any regression. You will then be able to run
> the new samples as well as the old M1 samples.

I checked into the trunk a few small additions and changes necessary to
support the subset of the new assembly model and C&I model required to
run the three samples I checked in earlier today.

The changes include the following:
- new SCDL loaders (copied from the original M1 loaders) to support some
of the new SCDL elements
- additions of the new SCDL 1.0 namespace to the Java implementation and
SDO import loaders
- registration of these new loaders in the system.module configuration file
- A subset of the new CompositeContext interface providing the
locateService method (this is the only API used by the samples).

This is obviously a small subset of the new programming model, and just
a temporary evolution of the code to help progress with the samples work
in the main trunk, until we can integrate a more complete and serious
implementation of the new assembly model.

You should now be able to run old samples based on the 0.9 spec, as well
as new the new samples demonstrating the new composite assembly model.

Hope this helps.

--
Jean-Sebastien